CHAPTER 69

She thought she heard herself screaming, but that was a thought that her consciousness did not register. Her head was heating, and the sweat that streamed from her body was like a pool. Uche was laughing now, and the triumph in his eyes only dug the anger that Ejima had harbored for the past twenty years.

"No, this is not happening,"

Ejima panted and watched in horror as Kachi and his men, lifted Bozo out of the pit and placed him on the dusty floor. She trotted towards their direction and rested Bozo's head on her lap, using her free hand to add pressure on his wounded chest. It would have been worse, but his metallic armor had prevented some damage.

"I will do it all over," Bozo coughed and blood dribbled out of his mouth. His brown eyes had lost their grandness, mixed now with tears and regrets.

"Please, don't die. Please." Ejima cried amid the hot breath that came pouring out of her nostril. Some inches away was the pit which Uche had dug. Ghost, Bozo's stallone, was hanging on a wooden spike, eyes, and tongue wide open, with blood gushing out from its sides. Bozo had suffered the same fate and his men had been too late to save him.

"Now I will die a happy man, knowing that I met my mother in the end," Bozo smiled. Blood was trickling out of his eyes, nose, and ears, and seeing him like this made Ejima's heart snap into a thousand pieces. She wished for death, it would be pleasant if she followed her children into the void, into the world where there was no suffering, pain, or death.

"Stay with me," Ejima cried, "Kachi, find a healer. Stay with me son."

More tears strolled down her cheeks as her forehead met Bozo's. She could only imagine his suffering and his days alone. He had grown into a man without a father or mother. He had broken the chains of life in isolation. However, he was gone, leaving emptiness and memories to take his place.

"Please stay with me," Ejima sobbed again. The only thing she could do was watch. She was helpless, too helpless to save herself let alone save her child. She was a toothless dog, one that can only bark.

"My sweet child," Ejima gnashed her teeth as memories sips out of her skin. Bozo was no longer breathing, his eyes were closed and the life in him seemed to have disappeared.

"Well, well. That went well," Uche chuckled, "I just won a war before it even started."

"Murderer," Ejima yelled.

"Oh," Uche lifted his hands in submission, "you know you are next, right?"

Ejima's head shook in anger as she roughly dropped Bozo's corpse and drew his sword. Her side was still aching and the wound in her left hand pulsed like a second heart. Yet, the anger invigorated her, heaping strength on her shoulders that she never knew was there.

"You will pay for this," She shrieked and leaped into the air.

Uche drew out his sword in the last hour to defend the blow which aimed at his head. The surprise in his eyes was all gone and replaced with contempt and rejection.

Ejima seconded her first attack by sweeping her sword to the left, right before her feet could touch the ground. Ember glows flashed as metals meet mid-air. They held the blow, struggling to push the other away.

"You should have stayed dead."

"The gods forbid you, Uche. I will not rest until I kill you,"

"Ah," Uche laughed and jumped back. He shared a confused look with King Nnaji who had been watching the fight with excitement.

"No, I won't help you." Nnaji shook his head, "this is not my battle and I don't want to have anything to do with your family issue,"

"They are not my family," Uche hissed before turning his attention to Ejima, "I will enjoy killing you this time."

Ejima did not wait again. She swung her sword, aiming for his head. But like the previous times, he deflected the blow easily and pushed her back with his feet. 

"I will take everything from you," He glared and brought down his sword.

Ejima tried to avert the attack, but the blow was too intense and she found herself struggling to keep her feet stable. Her bones were shaking, and the blister in her palms made her lose grip of her sword.

"Don't worry sweetheart, I will make it quick" Uche smiled as he kicked the fallen sword to the far side.

Ejima's shoulders were heavy. She could feel the ache like a cloak on her body. The wound on her side and her arms were throbbing. Notwithstanding, she was not going to give up. She was not going to give Uche the satisfaction.

"You know your problem, Uche. You talk too much"

Uche's frown deepened and he pushed the air resistance, bringing his sword down on Ejima.

Ejima didn't wait, with one swift motion, she drew out her dagger from her belt and buried them in Uche's chest.