Part 16

I was waiting for Friday night.

That was all I cared about- I could hardly pay attention in my new classes. I just wanted to see Blaze.

At lunch on Friday, I decided to tell Samantha that I was meeting up with Blaze. I needed someone to cover for me. I also had to come up with a plan.

We were eating our Shepards pie when I blurted it out. "Blaze called me." I said.

Samantha put her fork down. "Are you serious?"

I nodded. "And I'm meeting up with her tonight."

Samantha's green eyes were wide. "Where?"

"Badwicks Tavern. I need a plan though- to explain to the others where I am going." I said.

Samantha looked thoughtful for a moment. Then she snapped her fingers. "I have an idea. We will tell everyone that you and I are meeting Maxwell for dinner- so they won't question why they can't come. I will actually call up Maxwell and ask him to meet me for dinner. I'm sure he will. Then you can go meet up with Blaze."

"You're a genius." I said, "Thank you for helping me."

"Anything for you." Samantha said, "You just better tell me the details."

That night Samantha and I started our cold walk into town. It was now January, and the air was crisp and freezing. I wore a long, black coat over my uniform and boots.

Maxwell was going to meet Samantha at Raya Tavern. So I would be free to be with Blaze.

Badwicks was about 5 minutes before Raya Tavern. Badwicks was for more of an older crowd- why Blaze had suggested it, I assumed. I also knew that none of my parents' friends would be there. Badwicks was far from hoity toity.

I felt nervous when I walked in. I didn't even know if Blaze was there yet.

Badwicks was one large room- with a bar in the center when you walked in, that had a large black sign with a Raven on it that said "Badwicks". Behind the bar were some tables, booths, and pool tables, as well as dart boards.

I was the only one in a school uniform. I saw people glance at me, and I immediately wanted to hide.

But then I spotted straight black hair- and the leather jacket I had seen before, facing the bar. She also had on jeans and sneakers. Upright Academy didn't have a uniform requirement when leaving campus.

My heart started pounding. It had to be Blaze.

Then she turned around- and we locked eyes.

Everyone in the room faded away. It was just Blaze and I. She looked at me- and gave me a genuine smile.

It was like we were seeing each other for the first time. I was now seeing Blaze in a whole different light. And it felt like she was now seeing me in a different light as well.

Blaze made her way over to me, and stopped right in front of me.

"Hi." she said. She gave me a small smile.

"Hey." I said back, not being able to help but smile back.

These were genuine feelings. I couldn't doubt it.

"Follow me. Let's sit at a booth." she said, and then surprisingly- she lightly took my hand in hers and led me to a booth.

Her touch sent shockwaves through me.

I sat down across from her. I noticed she had some makeup on.

"You look beautiful." I said to her. Then I immediately wasn't sure if it was too much.