And I like his company, more than I care to admit.

I move my head to look at Tate, his view was towards the sky, looking relaxed and actually kind of enjoying himself.

He looks different.

His usual hard exterior is nowhere to be found, all his troubles, his worries, his problems, seem to disappear at this moment and he looks completely and utterly free.

Like he didn't have a care in the world but in the best way.

I wish I could just capture this moment and stare at it because I would - stare at it for hours that is.

I guess I was still staring at him because when he turned his head, our eyes aligned almost automatically.

It's that serene moment of tranquility, yet our hearts were beating so fast. It's the danger that comes with this reckless and impulsive position, because who'd stop in the middle of the road just to lay in it?

Us apparently.

I gave him a small smile, one that meant that world. It's said "I told you so" and "I'm glad you're enjoying this moment" and "I'm glad you look free."

It also secretly said I missed you. Secretly.

No one would know that however, only me because I sure as hell won't tell him that.

He gave me that same smile.

It absolutely blew me away. My heart selfishly raced faster, really happy that he returned it.

He smiled at me.

I turned my head and can't help but sing along with a smile. My singing was truly terrible, but the volume of the actual song silenced it.

I turned towards him, going to urge him to sing along with me but I remembered he didn't know the words.

It looked like it brought him natural joy, bringing an easy smile to him, the song and me

singing along.

This moment was our moment.

A place away from reality. Better than reality.

This was my favorite part, so I sang along like I always do to most songs, except this time someone was watching as I did so. Maybe he found it annoying, or stupid, but I really didn't care.

This was the first time in such a long time I had a real smile. The kind too real that you can't cover it up or hide it, the kind that felt too good to stop, and the kind so incredibly real that if I looked at this moment from another person's perspective, I'd be truly proud of her.

His eyes never left from me like he was in a trance.

The smile he had on his face looked so natural, probably from the music he was enjoying so much. I make a mental note to tell him the name of the song since he looks like he loves it so much.

The music slowed down, and that's how I knew it ended.

"See, isn't this fun?" I couldn't help it, it was like my way of I told you so.

"You know what else is fun?"

*

The next song on the radio started to play. I hum in response, asking him "what?" It was definitely more upbeat, the beats were faster and quicker, giving a cheery rhythm like something you'd dance to.

"Dying together."

I scoff, shaking my head. "A car won't come," I assure him. All I do is listen since I didn't know the words or even heard of this song before. It brought a big smile to my face even so.

"You don't know that."

"Then we'll make a run for it." I easily say.

"Better run fast." He taunts.

"I'll try," I say in response.

I like this song a lot actually.

I turn to see Tate's reaction to the song. It's almost automatic now that I see his reaction for everything because I care what he thinks more than I care to admit.

"I gotta tell you the truth" He mouths the lyrics along with the song.

That caught me by surprise that he knew this song.

"You know this song?" I say shocked over the loud music wide-eyed.

"My sister used to play it a lot." He informs me.

My smile grew at the thought.

"I wanna grab both your shoulders and shake baby." He mouths along playfully.

My mouth opens in amused surprise.

I like seeing him like this. Careless. It looked good in him.

My heart was beating so fast, matching up with the fast beats of the song.

"Y'know, this is a good song to dance to." I mention.

"I agree." He smirks.

"I would dance to this, but my legs are exhausted. I think they'll fall off." I laugh lightly.

He turned his head for a second, laughing lightly. God, how does he look so pretty in every angle?!

I'm allowed to complement him and think he's attractive because it's true. It doesn't mean anything more.

He nudged an inch closer to me thinking I wouldn't notice. I shouldn't have.

Tate sings along, making direct eye contact with me, our faces only a few inches away.

I didn't think his eyes could get prettier, but when they're lit up like that, bright and happy, staring at me, I'm easily proven wrong.

I happily watch him singing along to every word, looking like he knows it by heart. I really couldn't stare away. This was just too good.

He has dimples, no, not dimples, but the smile lines in the corner of his mouth that deepen and become more prominent when he smiles. Are those still considered dimples? Who knows.

Uncalled for, I feel the ground shake.

Vibrates in a way, like I can feel it rumble below me.

We get pulled away from the compulsion.

My view of Tate's face gets noticeably brighter, and I know that's a headlight of a car.

Panic instantly fills me, fear and nervousness. A car was in the distance. I can feel it coming from the road.

Tate almost instantly stops mouthing the lyrics and quickly looks up, in the direction of the car.

A car was headed our way. It was still a good distance from us, we could run if we wanted to, go back to the car easily. Still, I'm terrified and panicked.

But my fears were quickly demolished when I realized the car was driving on the other side. It can't hit us because we weren't in its path unless it purposely swerved across the side we're on. It can simply drive by us, we were more than a few feet away from the other side, we were safe.

My heart starting to slow, realizing the fact. I smile, a mischievous thought pops into my head.

I feel Tate pull on my arm, urging me to stand up with him.

"No, stay." I say quickly. The car was still a few feet away from us, but getting closer by the second. It wasn't moving fast.

"Rowan, get up." He says seriously, worried and nervous, looking back and forth between the car and me.

"Tate, it can't hit us," I assure him. "We aren't in its path. Lay down." I pull on his arm hard, urging him to come back down.

"Rowan, are you crazy?! Come on!" We both speak quickly since we're kind of in the middle of danger.

"It can't hit us!" I assure him again. "Lay down!"

Uncertainty and doubt fill his eyes, but he listens.

I can physically hear and feel the car coming closer. My heart pounded at an incredible speed.

Tate watches the car cautiously even though there's literally no way we'd get run over.

The car gets incredibly close and I quickly grab his hand without a thought. He freezes for a second, but relaxed when he realized who it was.

"Close your eyes!" I say quickly over the music blaring and the wheels of the incoming car.

I'm so close that I'm practically hugging him.

I can feel his heart beating.

Good to know he has one.

This is intense, the build-up of the incoming car unknown to us when it's going to come.

Without warning, the car quickly drives past us, the noise of its tires and engine so loud it almost made me scream. We were literally only a few feet away from it.

A rush of cold wind blew in its path, the incredible brightness of the car only making me shut my eyes tighter together and somehow move closer to him.

Our hands were held together, tightly squeezing for the literal life of us, my other hand was bunched up into his jacket by his chest, his other arm wrapped around me like a protective blanket, holding my waist. This is probably the tightest I've ever been held.

The loud roar of the car grew quieter and quieter the more it drove farther away from us.

I wait in his arms, just for another second, just to say safe.

Then when I knew for sure, I break away from his grasp and turn over so my back is on the road again. My heart was pounding so hard against my chest that I thought it would explode.

I break into laugher, wild, crazy laugher putting my hand over my mouth.

"I cannot believe we just did that!" I exclaimed. I think I'm shaking.

"You're fucking insane." He was out of breath too.

I continued laughing. That was the most exciting, most intense moment I've ever experienced. We literally could've died. Only if the car accidentally swerved and ran us over. It was so incredibly reckless and stupid, but it's the most fun I've ever had.

Tate was covering his face, laugher emerging from him too.

The song had ended, I didn't know when, but it had. Another song was playing but it was obvious it was coming to an end too.

All of a sudden, he stood up, and his hand out for me to grab comes into view, telling me to stand.

"I can't dance." I say out of breath, still recovering. "Tate my legs are going to snap off."

"I won't let you fall."

On impulse, I grab his hand and before I blink, he pulls me up, not even struggling.