four

Present Day

As I head over to the elevators in the lobby of my apartment complex, I feel as if I'm about to pass out. My head is throbbing, now out of the adrenaline that distracted me, and my whole body is sore.

I spent the entire day on my feet, running around trying to assist anyone who needed assistance. My feet are aching, and my legs feel like they are about to snap off.

I don't even know how I'm still walking.

I feel like a drunk walking through the hallway of my floor, stumbling crooked steps, my hair a knotted mess, my arm out to the side while my fingers graze the texture of the walls. My eyes are fighting to stay open.

It was successful, and even though I have no energy to feel excited anymore, I do feel a bit of accomplishment.

Good job me...

I could really use an 'I'm proud of you' right now, but doesn't everyone? I'm just glad I made it without making any major mistakes, saves me from the humiliation.

I can't wait to get into bed.

Me, Aelin, and Cay technically live together. We're neighbors. Aelin's apartment is right across from mine, and Cay's is to the left of hers. We do everything together, and we're always in each other's apartments. It's nice to have them around all the time. I could never ask for something better. They're my other halves. I'd probably be a lifeless body in an alleyway dumpster if it weren't for them.

It feels like ten whole minutes until I reach my door, although it was probably only a minute, my brains too fogged up from exhaustion and the need for sleep. You know how when you're eager for something, it always ends up feeling longer to get it?

I'm actually probably dreaming right now.

As soon as I open my front door, I spot Cay's blonde wavy hair. He's on the couch with some popcorn, watching tv. He likes to stay in my apartment because my couch is "comfier" than his. I would tell him to just get a nicer couch, but I honestly don't mind having him as company.

"Hey." He says turning his head around to look at me, in the process of stuffing his mouth with popcorn. "How was the show?"

As I take my shoes off, I notice his hazel eyes all puffy and his nose red. Had he been crying? Then I look at the tv. He's watching The Titanic. That explains it.

"It went really well, actually." I sit on the couch beside him and lay my head on his shoulder. "I'm so tired." I yawn.

He pats the side of my head with his hand that's not holding the bowl of popcorn. "Mmm... well you smell like hairspray and the interior of an expensive clothing store. Want some popcorn?" He asks, with his mouth full of popcorn.

I grab a handful, chewing slowly, not having any energy.

The more I chew, I realize my jaw is tired.

What the hell?

I'll just have an actual meal after I wake up.

"Night." I pat the top of Cay's soft head of hair as I get up and walk to my room, where my bed is.

.

I wake up with a pounding headache, feeling groggy and sweaty. I grab my phone to look at the time and it's 12:05 pm. I groan and get out of bed, noticing I still have my clothes on from yesterday. Oh no.

I quickly sprint to my bathroom and look in the mirror. Shit. I didn't take off my makeup.

My head is pounding, my throat is dry and scratchy, and my hair looks like a cat tried to claw its way brushing it.