"I ain't do nothin' wrong", Jack said louder, standing up with The Man. "And a bunch of other kids in there ain't do nothin' either. Most of 'em don't even live here-"

"I can't do anything about the law, Mr. Kelly", Pulitzer chuckled, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "All I can do is suggest you follow it."

Jack looked at him suspiciously. "Why don't you-"

"I suggest you leave now." The older man opened the door, waiting for the teen to leave. "I've things to do."

Jack got up slowly, watching Joseph as he walked out. He could barely blink before the door was slammed in his face.

——————

"You cheated!"

"How do you cheat in Life, Blink?"

"You get rich in bad ways", Blink glared as Mush rolled his eyes. They looked up when they saw the theater doors open. "Where was you?"

"I, uh, went to buy some food", Jack answered, carrying a bag. "Went to Frank's."

Blink and Mush immediately got up, grabbing the bag out of Jack's hand. He let them have it, warning them to share and not eat all the hotdogs.

Jack immediately walked to his room, thinking about the events before. What was that? What even happened?

How was he supposed to tell Davey? Technically, he did find another way, it just wasn't exactly what his boyfriend might've had in mind. Besides, it's not like it worked.

Which is probably worse than him trying at all.

Jack sighed, flopping onto his bed. He wished he had Davey here with him, but the other boy had to stay home and watch his little brother. He tried to go with him after school—somewhat asking to not raise suspicion—but Davey declined, opting for dinner tomorrow with his parents at seven. Jack agreed.

He sighed as he turned toward the door, watching as Crutchie walked towards him. "You hungry? There's food downstairs."

"Nah, I bought somethin' on the way over", Crutchie declined, staring at Jack with seriousness. "Where'd you go?"

"Went to Frank's", Jack chuckled, sitting up and standing off of his bed. "All the way to Brooklyn for some hot dogs. Felt like we needed a win."

Crutchie hummed, looking around to make sure no one was listening. "Yeah. And where did you really go?"

Crutchie: caring, kind, and a little shit. Jack chuckled and thumbed his nose, shaking his head. "Come on, Crutch, don't be a wet rag."

"Come on, Jack, tell me where you went."

The older rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, giving in. "I went to see Katherine Pulitzer's dad, alright?"

Crutchie furrowed his brows as he tried to put a face to the name. There were many Katherines at their school, and Jack could see the gears turning in his little blonde head. "That girl who's dad owns The World?"

"Yeah, we had a plan to ask her, so Davey went", Jack explained, his voice lowered as his eyes scanned around the room. The boys were eating and chatting happily. "But he got bupkiss, so I went to the man my self."

"WAIT, YOU WENT-"

"Crutchie, shut up!" Jack placed his hands on the younger's mouth, shaking his head. "Geez, you ever read a room?"

"Sorry, I didn't-" Jack a pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing out of stress. "Sorry. So, what happened?"

"I got about as much as Davey did", Jack answered. "The man is real twig, you know? Can't imagine him havin' a bunch of curtain climbers around."

Jack placed a cigarette between his lips, lighting it. He always wanted kids, little tykes running around and having the time of their lives in their own worlds as he watched them. Or his entire family running up to him as he came home from work, his kids laughing as he squeezes them tightly in a hug, all of his love going to them. And in each scenario, he kisses Davey, his heart in his hands.

Just a dream, though.

Crutchie sighed and placed a hand on his best friends shoulder. "You tell Davey?"

"No."

Crutchie rolled his eyes and shook his head. "I'm goin' to! I just...gotta find the right time."

"Well, you better find it soon or you ain't gonna be playin' backseat bingo with your boy toy any longer!"

Jack closed his eyes and sighed deeply, deciding Crutchie would be the wrong person to take his frustrations out on. "Look, I did what I had to do. I'll tell Davey tomorrow—on Saturday—and this will be done with. We'll figure it out, alright?"

Crutchie nodded, glancing around the room. Jack clenched and unclenched his teeth, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "And don't go tellin' nobody, okay? This is between us," he says in a lowered voice, staring at Crutchie intensely.

Crutchie half-smiled. "You got it, boss."

Jack chuckled and tousled the younger's hair, just like an older brother. "Go eat", Jack instructed, waiting for Crutchie to turn around and following him out the door. "You stayin' or leavin' tonight? So I can make you a bed."

"Stayin'", Crutchie sighed. "Dad's back."

Jack hummed and patted his little brother's shoulder, following the smell of hotdogs.