Black Hearted: Chapter 27

Jack tugged on his tie. His gray tie. Outside the dark tinted windows of his limo, the world whizzed by in shades of charcoal and ivory. The privacy panel was up, locking him into the gloomy, solitary interior. Just as it should be.

Two sharp beeps interrupted the silence. He considered not answering Wolfe's call, but that wouldn't deter his head of security. The man was relentless. One of the reasons James had liked Wolfe so much.

"I'm on my way to lunch. Can this wait?"

Wolfe's baritone voice echoed in the limo. "Only need a few."

Jack somehow doubted this, but set his phone on the empty seat beside him. "Go."

"Got a call from SS. Seems you did well on the golf course last weekend." Of course he did. He knew how to play the game of golf and of CEO. Born and bred for it. Laugh at the right time, act important, be important, pretend to be impressed and more often impressive. "Back channel intel says there's an offer on the table."

Jack forced himself to smile, even though Wolfe couldn't see it. Part of the uniform, getting into character. "As it should."

"Your ex-assistant finally signed the NDA, so that's over with." There was a slight hesitation. Tension pulled Jack's shoulders together. Wolfe was brutal and straightforward. He wasn't going to like this.

Wolfe huffed. "Are you sure Mrs. Monero and Ms. Wild won't try to profit off your little jaunt last weekend?"

The one thing he could count on was Solana didn't want anything to do with his money. "I'm sure."

"And the neighbour?" Jack could hear paper shuffling. Wolfe was old school, liked printed copies organized in file folders. He hated when he walked into his clean and clutter free office to find one of the navy-blue missives marring his desk. Bad news wrapped in the colour of trust. "Mr. Fernandez?"

"Abraham? He has nothing." Not true, he had Solana. She'd probably already forgiven him for the lies over the money. "No need to worry about him."

"I always worry. It's what you pay me for." The truth slithered along his spine. Wolfe had job security. There would always be something to worry about in his world. A part of Jack screamed someone should worry about the real him and not the persona he displayed to the world. He closed his eyes and counted slowly until the useless notion drifted away.

The car rolled to a stop. "I'm here." Jack hung up on Wolfe and cracked open the door. The bright California sun blinded him. Slowly the world rushed in, the green leaves of the palm trees, the blue of the cloudless sky, the red awning of the restaurant name.

They chose to meet here because the location was within walking distance for Ethan, but far enough from the hospital, Jack didn't have to be reminded his friend was a doctor.

He crossed the black and white tiled floor as the hostess lead him to their usual table. Ethan waited for him, wearing a grey suit today, a tall glass of sparkling water before him. The doctor never drank anything outside of water or coffee when he was on a shift.

"Jack. You made it." Ethan rose and instead of a handshake, embraced Jack in a light hug.

The faint whiff of astringent that always seemed to accompany the man turned Jack's stomach, yet he let himself sink into his friend's embrace. He counted to five and pried himself away. "Man has to eat."

Ethan studied him as they took their seats. "I appreciate you finding the time."

Guilt bubbled in Jack's chest. No matter how gruff he was, how bad a mood, Ethan always treated him with a kindness Jack was sure he didn't deserve. With effort, he shook off the bad mood that had clung to him like a black cloud and focused on the good right in front of him.