Hey There, Delilah (38)

Start from the beginning

“But I’m not cute,” he told me.

“Yes you are,” I replied, sticking my tongue out at him like a playful child.

“No I’m not.”

“Yes you are.”

“Delilah, no I’m not.”

“Yes, you are!”

“Just shut up and kiss me.”

I smirked at him, amused. I leaned forward, pressing my lips to his, ending the small argument.    

Which I totally won, by the way.

*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~*

Running, running, running. That was all I was doing.

Running for my life.

Through woods, away from bright lights and screaming voices. I was running for my life. I just needed to get away, to be safe for once.

“Delilah…”

That voice…

“My dear, dear Delilah…”

Will it ever go away?

“I’ll never go away, my dear.”

I sat up quickly, shaking my head to get rid of the voice that rang through my head. I really didn’t think that it would ever go away. He was going to haunt my dreams forever. Even though he was in jail, he would always be a part of me, somehow.

Using the back of my hand to wipe the sweat off my forehead, I could feel my eyes moisten. I felt a strange amount of weight on my waist, and I looked over in surprise to see River lying asleep next to me, his arm wrapped around my waist. I then remembered how I had made him come into my room after everyone was in bed so he could sleep with me. My mother thought he was in the room next door from me, but what she didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her, right?

More like what she didn’t know wouldn’t hurt me.

Looking down at his handsome sleeping face, it made my eyes water even more. Knowing that he had to go home in only two days, leaving me all alone once again, only made me want to cry. I didn’t want him to ever leave me.

He was breathing, in and out, in and out, his chest rising and falling with every breath. This simple movement that everyone did caused tears to roll out, causing me to lie back down and burying my face into the crook of his neck. I just wanted him to stay with me forever.

I continued to cry, not even really knowing why. Maybe because of the nightmare I had had, or the fact that River was going to have to leave me behind when he went back to New York. He couldn’t fly here every weekend, no matter how rich he was.

Suddenly, I felt a pressure around my waist. Shocked for a moment, I almost pulled away from him until I realized it was only River, squeezing me to him tightly. So he must have been awake now, or he was somehow doing that in his sleep.

“What’s wrong?” he whispered into my hair quietly.

So he was awake.

“Nothing,” I lied into his shoulder, making sure my voice didn’t crack. “I’m fine.”

“Uh-huh, because I really believe that. You’re crying, Delilah. Now tell me what’s wrong,” he pressed on, squeezing my abdomen a little tighter to him. I let out a quiet sob into his shoulder, almost in defeat.