Hey There, Delilah (35)

"Delilah..."

That voice... Get me away from that voice!

"My dear Delilah..."

No. No, no, no! Get me away from him! Someone help me!

"Delilah, my Delilah, my dear Delilah..."

No...

"Do you like New York City?"

My eyes immediately popped open, widening when I saw a bright white ceiling over me. I let out a breath, happy that Mr. Higginson wasn't by my side and that hearing his voice was only in my dream. But I was still confused... Where was I?

The first thing I thought?

Everything's white.

The second thing I thought?

It's raining. Hard.

And the third thing?

My arm's asleep.

Was I dead? Was I in heaven or something? Did it rain in heaven? Why was everything so blindingly white? I opened my eyes a little, preparing to see angels and whatnot, but I could only see the white ceiling that hurt my eyes. And my left arm was still asleep.

My eyelids were closing, suddenly getting too heavy to keep open. I closed them once again, sighing and trying to sit up, but my body felt way too heavy to do so. Also, there was something pushing down on my arm that didn't allow me to move any further. Confused, I tried to open my eyes once again, but they still felt way too heavy to be moved. It was like I had pinkeye or something and my eyes just couldn't open.

I didn't know where I was, and I didn't know why there was more pressure on my left arm then on my right. The feeling was starting to annoy me, and I tried to move my arm again. I was able to open my eyes this time, and I looked over to my left to see River's head lying on my left arm.

So that's what it was that was causing the annoyance in my arm. I rubbed my eyes with my free hand, as if telling them to stay up. My body felt so heavy, and I just wanted to go back to sleep. I didn't think I ever wanted to get up again.

I looked around at my surroundings now, a little shocked to see that I was in a white hospital room. I was confused at first, but the memories soon came rushing back to me, almost like a wave. I remembered being in the house of mirrors, Mr. Higginson kissing me, being saved by River, and then falling out through the hole in the wall. The back of my head was sore, but nowhere near as sore as it had been after Mr. Higginson had hit me with the crowbar.

I felt the bandage that was wrapped around my head, and it caused me to frown. It was white, I could just tell, and was wrapped all the way around my head, at least five or six times. I didn't really think that was necessary. I hadn't been bleeding that badly, had I?

I then turned toward River again, who was asleep on my now throbbing arm. I poked the top of his head, hoping that would wake him, but he didn't even budge, he didn't even make a sound. I gave him a flat look, poking him again, harder this time. He still didn't move.

I was seriously about to hit him. He usually was such a light sleeper.

I reached over, jiggling his shoulder a little. He groaned quietly, only his nose twitching. I shook him again, a little rougher this time. This caused him to finally sit up, a little alarmed until he saw that it was only me. He looked at me for a moment, as if he didn't recognize me. He was looking at me in confusion until his eyes suddenly grew wide in shock.

He had faded bruises on his face, and a few scratches as well. They were hard to look at, but I couldn't pull my eyes away from him as he sat in front of me.