Feeling Like We'd Rather Not Feel at All

Começar do início

"What?"

"You know Error. And if there's one thing he doesn't like, it's being treated like he can't handle things."

"What do you know about him?" Ink blinked. "You've known him for all of two seconds."

"And so have you! But it's obvious that he's not gonna have that sort of conversation!"

"But it's true- he is still kind of a mess."

"Yeah, but you can't just-" Cross groaned, "You can't tell him that it's obvious."

"I wasn't trying to upset him, I was just trying to point out why he's..." Ink cut himself off, "Yeah, maybe you're right."

"Stay here. I'm gonna go talk to him."

Cross made sure to bring his wooden box with him.

Error was in his room, pulling a hoodie on while sat on the bed.

"Hey," Cross knocked on the open door.

"Hm?" Error acknowledged him vaguely. He left the hoodie unzipped, showing the middle of his cracked ribs. Thankfully, they looked a lot better after Life's healing.

"You alright, amigo?"

"I'll be fine." He huffed. "I'll take some painkillers."

"I'm not worried about your shoulder," Cross approached Error, "You seem stressed the fuck out."

"Stressed," Error pointed at him, wide-eyed, "Not fragile."

"I said stressed, and that's what I meant."

The monochrome skeleton took thew silence as an opportunity to sit down next to Error on the bed.

Error got up immediately, drifting toward the window and opening it with a click. Standing with his back to Cross, he gazed outside.

"You good?"

"It's just hot in here."

"It's not that hot, buddy."

Error turned around, leaning against the windowsill. "If you say so."

"You look flushed, actually," Cross got to his feet again, "Maybe you should take those painkillers."

"I'm not really in any pain." He was quickly dismissed. Error's fingers subconsciously traced his sternum.

"Okay." Cross said quietly. Naturally, he didn't believe Error, but her certainly didn't press harder for the truth.

There was a knock at the front door. It was quieter at the back of the apartment where Cross and Error were, but they both still looked toward the doorway, synchronized.

"Ink will get that, I'm sure." Cross assured.

"Guys!" Ink called, seconds later, "Guys, we have a problem! Or- not a problem, sorry, Four."

"Four..." Error whispered, holding his breath in anticipation.

Cross set the wooden box down on the bed. "Wait here."

Error didn't like taking orders from Cross. Not because he didn't respect Cross- he did, just not in the same way he respected Four. He remained where he was, though not because Cross had asked him to.

He needed to get his story straight.

'I killed seven human Seekers. But that was only because I was doing my job- wait, I wasn't supposed to start doing that until tomorrow... But maybe he'd see it as me getting ahead of the workload?' Error's fingers dug into his sternum now, as the feeling of tightness got more intense, 'That would be reasonable... if I had any clue as to whether that universe was even on the damn list.' He shook his head. It wouldn't sound good out loud. 'So, I didn't check the list, but I still destroyed a universe... and then seven Seekers... directly after the King told us not to...'