XV

___________________________________________

"Oh, I'm so glad we stayed, Lisa! It's beautiful," Chitthip exclaimed, and Jennie gave a weak smile

"Oh, I'm so glad we stayed, Lisa! It's beautiful," Chitthip exclaimed, and Jennie gave a weak smile. The woman had her hand in a vice-like grip, and she was being circled like a vulture by Marco.

"Thank you, Mom," Lisa smoothed out.

"Well done," her mother supplied tonelessly, finally stopping her shark-like movements to pat Lisa on the back.

"Thank you, Mother," the woman replied before faux-casually moving on, "So, do you have your things together?"

"Of course, dear," her mom said, "Thank you for such a wonderful time,"

Jennie felt her teeth ache from the smile she was forcing. The woman was just sickly sweet, the sugary grain of her actions irritating her skin and ears. But she nodded, shaking hands once more with Lisa's mother and guiding the pair to the door.

"It was lovely," the woman continued, "I had such a marvelous time, didn't you, Marco? Your mother did too. And we'll be in the area for the next week, Lisa, so don't be surprised if we pop by to say hello," she smiled largely, and left the apartment.

Lisa's mouth barely refrained from dropping to smile as her mother followed her mom out, and shut the door behind her. The place was silent.

"Jennie," Lisa finally managed, "Would you mind if I got myself a drink?"

"Not at all. Have one for me too," the woman replied, collapsing onto the couch with a relieved sigh. She listened to Lisa pour herself a scotch before asking at large, "Why did that last part sound threatening?"

"Most likely because it was a threat," Lisa sighed, fitting herself behind Jennie on the couch.

"So, we just stay on DEFCON 5 for a week?"

"I forgot to tell you, I have to leave to Busan for a branch inspection," Lisa winced, "So more accurately, you will have to be on red alert,"

Jennie groaned and rolled to bury her face in Lisa's cleavage, and the drinking woman laughed. As the pair settled into the stillness, they each found the pleasant peace that being together brought them.

Lisa smiled, caressing Jennie's back happily, her mind buzzing.

____________________________________________________________________________

Jennie was worried. No, she was more anxious than anything. Most accurately, she was restlessly afraid. People, as it were, are generally afraid of the unknown. And she was rapidly concerning herself with making her uncertainties known.

She was currently standing in an elevator at the downtown office of Ark12. The lights above her changed as the tiny room rose, and she used her thumb, middle, and pinky fingers to worry the ring she wore. It was a nervous habit she had immediately taken to doing. For a week.