X

___________________________________________

Her blue eyes blew wide and she snapped her head back to Dr

Her blue eyes blew wide and she snapped her head back to Dr. Shon's earnest eyes.

"What?" she breathed, her chest constricting, "What did you just say?"

"You're undoubtedly pregnant, Ms. Kim. From your tests, I'd say as far along as five weeks, in fact,"

Jennie was having trouble breathing, trouble thinking. Lisa was staring at Jennie, for some reason finding herself all of a sudden standing.

"But, the tests..." the still seated woman whispered.

"The tests showing negative could be from any number of causes; your urine is too diluted with other things, it's the wrong time of day, anything that has to do with digestion, really. But blood doesn't lie," the woman was smiling, "You'll need to schedule another appointment within the next 5-7 weeks for your first ultrasound," she rose with a professional flourish, giving the woman some room.

"You can schedule that out front. Have a nice day and congratulations, Ms. Kim,"

And then she left.

Jennie was stunned, and she immediately put a hand to her stomach. She stood and pulled her shirt up, as if expecting to find a distention on her flat abs. Her eyes clouded as she slowly pieced her mind together.

"I'm pregnant?" she whispered, and then whirled to face Lisa, "I'm pregnant," her smiled overtook her face and her eyes burned with joy, her heart soaring. She threw herself into the taller woman's body, "I'm pregnant!" She half cheered; half sobbed.

Lisa's warmth enveloped her, and the sound of the taller woman's heartbeat was pressed against her ear, rapid and thundering. The woman had yet to say anything, and Jennie pulled backwards, tears streaming down her face.

"Thank you, Lisa," she bit her lip, but immediately continued to smile, "Thank you so much,"

Lisa felt like she was dreaming. Jennie was pregnant, finally, really pregnant. She had gotten Jennie pregnant. She, Lisa Manoban, had conceived a child with this wonderful woman. She had conceived a child. Jennie's child.

"J-Jennie," she smiled, "Congratulations, Jennie," she felt her eyes tear up as well, but the tightness in her chest didn't know what emotion it was from, "You're going to be a wonderful mother,"

Jennie's smile was beautiful, "Thank you," she was flushed with pride and love for her newly discovered baby. She hadn't removed her hand from her stomach the entire time, "Alright," she breathed deeply, the air feeling cleaner somehow, "Let's get going, shall we?"

Lisa nodded numbly, her brilliant mind Dial-Up slow. She vaguely took note that Jennie was so, so happy, and the date that her ultrasound was on. It wasn't until she was seated behind the wheel of her car did she feel clarity return to her.