XXXV

BRAYDEN

I watched the disappointed faces as my teammates lost another game. I was so furious. I was tired of this losing streak. I wanted to play badly, but Coach wasn't having it one bit. I huffed as I met up with the others in the locker room. Everyone was packing up their stuff to leave and I noticed Will doing the same. He was quiet, but I could tell he wasn't happy that we took another L.

"Man, I'm tired of losing." A teammate stated.

"Tell me about it. We suck without Will or Brayden." Another dude said.

"Ayo, Will how about convincing Coach to let y'all play?" Someone asked.

Will shook his head. "Nah, I'm good."

The team groaned. "Well, what about you Bray-" He got interrupted when a door shut. Coach joined us with an agitated look on his face.

"Coach, can you please let Will and Brayden play?"

He looked at us before giving us a flat out "no."

"Come on, Coach. At least let one of them play."

"Until your teammates learn to get along on the court, I may consider it. Until then, figure it out. Now, go home. You're all dismissed."

I sucked my teeth and went home. I washed up and ate some food. Aiden and I weren't talking and that was fine with me. I didn't wanna speak to him anyway. Just as I finished my plate, my mom entered the room.

"No knock? Just barge right on in."

"Boy this my house."

I smacked my lips. "I could've been naked."

"Whatever." She waved me off and sat next to me.

"How was the game?" She inquired.

"Terrible, we lost." I mumbled.

"Oh, hunny." She rubbed my back. "You'll win next time."

I scoffed. "I doubt it. Coach ain't budging, Ma."

"I don't blame him." She answered, making me scoff. "Then, make up with ya friend, hunny. Life's too short to be acting like this and why aren't you talking to your brother?"

"You know?"

"Yes, he told me."

I rolled my eyes. "Ma, he and Danny were together and didn't tell me. Danny's my friend, Ma. It's just...weird." I shook my head, thinking about it.

"You don't have to agree to his choices, Bray. However, you can try to support him. He's your brother. Don't forget, he's always been there for you. The least you can do is do the same for him."

With that, she took my finished plate, kissed my cheek, and left me with a heavy mind. Mom's right. Aiden's the only brother I have and I should try to be more supporting. I did miss him. Hell, I missed the entire gang. I guess it's time for me to bite the bullet and make things right.

KAYLA

I watched as Will and Leah stood by his car, talking in the parking lot. She wrapped her arms around his waist and planted a kiss on his lips. He returned the favor as they continued to embrace one another and continue on their conversation.

I was hurt nonetheless. It was obvious they were still together. I thought he and I had a chance, but I guess I was wrong. I wanted answers. Why would he lead me on if he had a girl?

Why didn't he say anything? Were my feelings just a toy for him to play with? I was beyond devastated. I wanted to do go over there and demand answers, but I knew it was a bad idea.