Afternoon of August 30th

“The sound of cicadas that chirred like showers end in an instant. In the abrupt silence, I realize life’s immense beauty. Just the fact that you are in it makes all the difference. Even if this were a dream, this is where I choose to be.”

~

   The man I had seen at the train… he called me.
   At first I was confused. How did he get my number? But when I picked up the phone he told me that he found one of my books. It turns out I had dropped it that day on the train tracks, being hurried as I was. The man picked it up and brought it home. But it wasn't just any book. It was my research book.
   At first I was scared, but he told me that he understood what I was researching. He told me that he’d seen it before… the flower. The flower that I had been keeping track of for years, asking hundreds of people about. The flower that didn’t seem to even exist. And this man had seen it?
   I was completely intrigued. Nobody had ever understood before. I immediately asked what his name was. He told me, “Kim Seokjin.”
   The name seemed familiar. I wondered where I had heard it before.
Seokjin said he was willing to talk to me about my research. At first I was thrilled. But he had only one condition.
   “Go out with me.”
    I was shocked at first. But then… he was the only person who got me. Maybe it was meant to be.
   With little thought, I said yes. And we planned to go out on August 30th.
   That day was today. I was completely frantic, too. Would he really answer my questions? Would my research come to an end? It was all happening so fast.
   But I had a feeling that something was about to end. Whether it really was my research or something else. But I could tell something was coming to a close.