Thirty Five - "I was blinded with love."

Start from the beginning

I replied.

(3 Fire emojis and a blowing kiss)

He responded.

(A smiling face emoji with floating hearts)

More food arrived, and I was silently eating when Mrs. Coyle mentioned Jacob.

"Jacob is in Florida with Angela. He said that he promised to take her there on their anniversary. They'll be gone for a week."

"Where in Florida?" Mom asked.

"In Miami," Mrs. Coyle answered, "he took her shopping for bikinis the other day."

My heart jolted. It was me whom he promised to take to Florida on our anniversary. He also insisted that I take him when I shop for bikinis, because I would be needing his opinion.

Angela surely knew it was not for her, but mine, and she played along with him.

The thought of them together, really infuriated me. Jacob disgusted me most, having a good time under the sun and fucking Angela, then expected me to wait for him? What a chauvinist pig!

"Any sign that Jacob's memory of Pia already comes back?" Mom asked, as if I was not there.

"Hmm... it's been more than a year. But he said he can't remember anything," Mrs. Coyle looked at me with sympathetic eyes.

"It took him so long," Mom muttered in disapproval, "I thought it would only be for a few months."

"I know it's not normal anymore. His doctor said to give him some time."

"Well..." Mom scoffed, "he should hurry if he still wants our Pia. Maybe it would help if he bumps his head on the wall."

"Divine, that's not a nice thing to say about my son," Mrs. Coyle suddenly looked upset.

"I'm just kidding," Mom waved her hand, a gesture of dismissal, "I just find it so unfair. Jacob is with Angela, honeymooning somewhere, and our Pia here is waiting for him."

"He doesn't want that either. But he can't remember Pia, and he's rediscovering himself. It's a process, Divine, that needs time," Mrs. Coyle turned to me, "once his memory comes back, he'll be back to you. That's what he said."

Rediscovering himself? Her words registered in my mind.

"When?" Mom asked Mrs. Coyle impatiently.

"We don't know. Maybe today... or tomorrow... or next week," Mrs. Coyle referring to the near future, giving me high hopes.

"Maybe never," Mom laughed sarcastically, "I want Pia to entertain other guys. She'll end up an old maid like her aunt Jodie if she keeps on waiting for Jacob."

Mrs. Coyle shook her head, with tongue clicking, eyeing with distaste, "if you do that, Jacob will be very disappointed in you once his memory comes back."

Once his memory comes back.

I shot her with a twisted smile.

"Actually, I agree with Mom, Mrs. Coyle," holding her eyes, coldly, "Jacob is not as invested as I am, and he's not making an effort to try to work out our relationship. I realized, it's time to let him go."

"How could you easily give up?" Mrs. Coyle snapped at me.

"You think what I did for your son was not enough? I tried so hard, to the point that I looked pathetic, stupid and desperate. The more I chased him, the more he avoided me and turned to Angela."

"You disappoint me, Pia. I thought you're a strong woman," Mrs. Coyle gave me a hostile glare.

My face instantly went grim. I held my head high and replied sharply.

"I am strong, Mrs. Coyle, I have no doubt about that. I just don't want to play the victim here," I swallowed hard trying to hide my anger, "I don't want to keep on waiting anymore, I might miss the train leading to the one for me. I realized, it's time for me to rediscover myself too."

All eyes at the table turned at me. Dad's expression turned murderous, while Mom's face lit up.

"Oh Pia... I'm so happy that finally, you're opening up," Mom said to me, then turned to Mrs. Coyle, "I told you, she has a lot of admirers."

"What are you saying, Pia!" Dad exclaimed.

"I'm going on a date tonight, Dad, and I'm not asking for your permission."

"A date? What the hell!" he looked at Mr. and Mrs. Coyle, looking embarrassed.

"Do I know him?" Mom asked curiously, her eyes gleamed with excitement.

"You'll meet him tonight," I assured her.

Mrs. Coyle chuckled nastily, "well, I just hope that guy won't make a fool of you."

I smiled blandly, "Oh, I'm sure he won't, Mrs. Coyle. He doesn't have amnesia."