Thirty Five - "I was blinded with love."

Start from the beginning

"Your dad called them. They said they were not sure, but here they are," Mom whispered to me.

I felt very awkward meeting them again.

The last time I saw them was about a year ago, when Jacob was hospitalized after the ski accident.

I went back and forth to Canada to help them take care of Jacob. He was in a coma for almost two weeks. I was always crying, not eating and sleeping well. My studies were affected, I was rooting for Summa or Magna Cum laude, but because I missed some important lectures, I was not able to get good marks in my exams. All it mattered to me at that moment was Jacob. I did not care anymore if I would graduate with or without honors.

Sadly, he woke up looking for his ex-girlfriend, Angela. Not me.

It was heartbreaking that everytime he saw me in the hospital, he would look at me like I was a nuisance in his life. He made excuses like he was sleepy, tired or wanted to be alone whenever I arrived. But with the help of his parents, we had a heart to heart talk.

He could not remember what we had. The love he had for me was totally gone. I showed him our photos and videos, but he just shook his head, not remembering all of it.

"It's hard to process everything right now. Just give me time. When it comes back, I'll make up to you. I promise," he held my hand, squeezing it tightly.

I hung on to his promise, and waited for his memory to come back. He recovered after three weeks. I was with him and his parents when he was discharged from the hospital, and traveled back to New York.

I thought we were slowly progressing, and we could rekindle our love now that he was in New York. Instead, he was seeing Angela, and secretly at first.

I confronted him when I found out, and it turned out to be a mess.

"Give me room, you're suffocating me," he bursted at me, "I'm the victim here, I'm the one who lost a memory. Why can't you be considerate and let me rediscover myself! I told you I need time. If you really love me, then you have to wait! If not... then go and leave me alone."

That was very heartbreaking. I ended up having a breakdown and was confined in a hospital. As expected, he never visited me. The next thing I knew, he was openly dating Angela.

"I heard you're working for Stavrakos?" Mr. Coyle asked me. I was surprised that they knew.

"Of course!" It was dad who answered, smiling proudly, "it's confidential actually. She's doing research for the AR-VR project."

"That's very impressive! I'm sure your salary is very huge. The Stavrakos are very generous to their employees," Mr. Coyle looked really impressed.

"Not to mention the benefits, allowances and vacation packages," Dad said to his best friend, "but I still want her to work for New York University, in our Alma Mater."

"Ahh... that's your frustration," Mr. Coyle laughed, "I remember how you always wanted to teach Finance there."

I was relieved that they started talking about their college days, and stopped talking about me.

Kristov texted.

I miss you (with a blowing kiss emoji). What are you doing?

I texted back.

Eating Korean food. I sent a picture of me, holding a chopstick and a sushi).

What about you?

He sent an image. He was standing in front of his bathroom mirror, shaving, with only a white towel wrapped around his hips.

Oh my goodness, I felt so hot all over.