snowy walks

"do you like the snow?" you asked matthew, your eyes in amazement as the small sparkles of frozen water frosted down from the sky gently onto your coat, your hair & your shoes until they met the pavement.

"i guess it's alright" he replied with a small smile, feeling you stop abruptly at times to stare at the snow particles.

with his gloved hand in yours, clinging onto you for warmth during this cold night in hell's kitchen, you pulled matthew closer to you. so you could hug his right arm. "i hate winter, but i love snow" you mumbled, head leaned up right against the material of his coat, arms holding one of his own

you just couldn't feel anything but warmth; happy, relaxed, warmth.

scoffing at your statement, with a click of his tongue, matthew nudged you with his right arm, "you know... you just contradicted yourself, right?"

"shut up," you said jokingly offended, seeing matthew shake his head at your demeanor. "enjoy the peacefulness mr. i have a law degree" matthew laughed lightly at your words & in response, he lifted his left hand to pinch your side to make you stumble & squirm into him.

"so... what are we stopping to look at exactly?" he asked you, hearing you mumble words of excitement at his question.

you genuinely loved explaining or describing things to matthew. it did however make you sad most times that he didn't have the luxury to see what was before him. he wasn't able to see how beautiful they skys were at sunset or sunrise; the clouds in all shapes & sizes scattered across the horizon. he would never get to see how sunlight can make ordinary things look more intriguing by just a gleam. the contrasts of light & darkness at night— there's so much that he won't be able to witness again.

especially you, but describing all the details of how something looks makes matthew feel included.

sometimes, it almost doesn't feel like he was blind at all with your descriptions. matthew often found himself having the perfect image in his mind, at least through the eyes of his younger self.

a bonus to you describing things to matthew was that he could hear your heartbeat, your sighs & breath's of excitement or love, how your touch felt more personal than anything ever before when you tried to move him in the direction of what you were describing, or moving his hand slowly to touch the object for him to get the full effect.

it made him fall for you more, even though he felt as if he shouldn't.

"there's a small lake in front of us, a couple yards away. it's completely frozen over, so it's safe for people to skate on. there's a couple large light posts around the lake for people to see it"

"it has a fresh layer of snow on top, but there's someone skating on it anyways, making more blade indents on the ice. the area surrounding the lake is covered in snow & most of it is free of footprints" you described with your eyes glancing over what was in front of you, trying to make sense of it all for matthew.

"mhmm, sounds pretty" he replied, holding your hand tighter. "just like you" he mumbled loud enough for you to hear, causing you to turn around to look to him.

trying to hide the smile on your face, but completely failing, your right hand reached up to his cheek, brushing away a few snowflakes from his lightly bruised skin. you wondered how he got that.

leaning his head down with his lips parted just enough, matthew kissed you slowly, feeling the world around him grow silent as he focussed all his senses onto you.

the way you smelled of coca butter & sangria from josie's. how the material of your black gloves were soft & thin against the skin of his hand. the way your lips fit against his just right, your lips plump & soft like silk against his own.

your shampoo mixing in with the cold night air that slightly smelled of hot chocolate & cigarettes. your hand on his cheek that kept him in place, grounding him from moving anywhere else that wasn't you.

"flirt" you mumbled when you separated your lips from his, your breath hitching when matthew dived in for another kiss.

"i can't help it whenever you're around" he mumbled back, both of you smiling into the kiss.

moving away from his lips before you got too distracted, you turned back to the scenic area in front of you to continue your description for him. but like the flirt matthew is, he was the one to now turn your cheek to focus on him.

"matthew..." you said suspiciously, eyeing him to see a small smirk on his lips, his gloved index finger tracing your jaw while his other moved to take home in your waist.

"yeah?" he breathed out, feeling the invisible tension slowly building as you both weren't saying the words you've wanted to say for so long.

allowing the air to be filled with silence for a second, you just wanted be in the moment with him. no words, no distant sounds— just you & him facing one another in the middle of the empty sidewalk in the park at night when you both should probably be back at his place before he food he ordered for you gets cold.

"hmm?" matthew hummed, wanting you to say what you were gonna say.

"it's nothing," you assured him as you released a breath you were unaware of holding, "i'm just happy i'm with you, that's all"

feeling his heart skip a beat at your words, matthew allowed himself to enjoy hearing someone confess their feelings to him.

no more pushing people away. no more over the line selflessness. no more feeling guilty when seeking new relationships or working on his current ones. no more of him getting in the way of his own happiness.

with his eyes doing their very best to focus on you, matthew tried to figure out what to say. he wanted to say a lot, but not too much to give away all his cards. so he went with something simple & truthful. the hand in your waist moved under your coat, letting it roam up & down the side of your hip freely. his free hand continued to hold yours as he spoke:

"i'm happy i'm with you too, y/n"