reconnecting

"i think we should take a break"

"from us...?"

"i need some space... so i can figure myself out. there's so much going on i-i... i need time"

"i guess, um... that's goodbye then"

"not forever"

"....we'll see"

it's been a few months since the spilt. after a glorious year together around the sun with him, matthew called it quits & never gave you the full reason why. you still felt some anger towards him for that because you deserved to know why he needed space, why he wanted to end things & what was keeping him from being with you. you just wanted the truth, even now despite how long it's been since you've talked. you thought you moved on, deciding to take the time for yourself & to focus on you, but matthew had a way of always sneaking into your mind.

if matthew were to say in front of a court that he hadn't thought about you everyday, he would be charged for perjury. the man still loved you & thought about you at night, wishing he hadn't been so stupid & blinded by his fears— because he ruined the best thing in his life. he regretted not telling you the truth about what he does beside being a lawyer & he regretted his fear of opening himself up to you, fully. but sadly he can't go back in time to fix that & matthew knew he had to fight to get you back.

after spending many nights awake, thinking of how he could fix things, matthew decided to come to your apartment the next day in hopes that you were there. as he stood outside your apartment door with his white cane in hand, he got the courage after a few moments to knock. he waited impatiently for a few seconds until he heard your muffled voice say, "one minute!". matthew felt his heart stop at the sound of your voice, it made him feel tingly all throughout his body & his throat went dry out of nervousness.

once the door was opened, you looked at him with a shocked gaze, unsure of what to say or do. you didn't expect him to show up unannounced— or even show up at all. so you just stood there in the door way, clutching the door while looking at the man you once loved with uncertainty. he hadn't changed much since the last time you saw him, he still looked like the same old matthew murdock. but you could tell he had something on his mind & you secretly hoped he would say it sooner rather than later.

"why are you, uh... here?" you asked quietly, seeing him gulp before responding.

"i came to apologize" he said in the same tone as you, making you scoff at him.

"there's no point. you should just go—" you told him before trying to shut the door.

"i'm daredevil" matthew said, stopping the door from closing with his shoe, making you peak at him with a curious look.

"what do you mean?" you asked carefully in case he was just saying bullshit.

"can i come in so we can talk... please y/n" he begged & you gave in, opening the door wider so he could come inside.

despite how much anger & saddness you felt towards him, you knew you would never be able to not give into matthew. after all this time, you still loved him & you couldn't help it.

"is that why you would have explainable bruises & cuts?" you asked as you sat on your couch, too afraid to look up at him, so you settled with looking at your fidgeting fingers.