valentine's lover

it was valentine's day; the day of love, red, pink, white, hearts & most of all— the day you were excited to spend with matthew. even you both had to go into work that day, you heading for your office building while he headed for his, you were planning a surprise for him. you planned to leave the office early, clean up the apartment a bit, make dinner for you both & hopefully enjoy the night with a few... activities.

when walking with matthew to the half way point before you both went your separate ways to work, you stopped him on the street & held his face with your hands. your fingers glided over the little bit of stubble on his cheeks, making him hum at the feeling.

"i love you" you told him, making him break into a bright grin at your words.

"good thing i love you too" matthew replied before leaning his lips towards yours, pulling you into a nice warm kiss while people passed you on the street, either smiling at you both or glaring at the sight of a happy couple.

"i'll see you at home, right?" you asked when he pulled away, your hands drifting to rest on his dress shirt clad chest.

"of course. it's valentine's day, don't think i'd forget" he said, kissing your forehead before pulling away & turning around to head to his office.

with a lovestruck look on your face, you happily made your way to your office, not being able to control the giddy feeling you felt in your stomach.

***

just like you had planned, you arrived home on time. you were able to fold some of the blankets on the couch, sweep & quickly mop the floors & make the bed before getting started on dinner. you were planning on making a spicy and savoury pasta since you knew matthew could handle spice, along with some sautéed vegetables on the side. dessert on the other hand, that would be something for later.

you were so focused on making the pasta sauce that you didn't notice the door had opened & someone had made their way over to you.

"hello sweetheart" matthew said, wrapping his arms around your middle so your back would press comfortably against his chest.

jumping slightly in surprise, you relaxed in his hold for a moment before realizing that your plan was now ruined.

"shit" you said frustrated, making matthew furrow his brows at your reaction.

"what's wrong?" he asked confused, feeling your body tense up & grow warm.

"you weren't supposed to be home for another ten minutes..." you told him, sighing while you continued stirring the rue, feeling matthew's hands move up to rest on your shoulders.

"i thought i'd come home early... was i not supposed to?" he questioned, clearly not understanding why you were a bit upset.

"i was going to surprise you with dinner for valentine's day" you told him, turning around to face him, seeing him take his red glasses off before speaking.

"you didn't have to do that for me darling" he told you with an appreciative look on his face.

you shook your head at his words before resting your hands on his chest, contrasting his look with a sad one.

"i wanted to though. it's our first valentine's day together & i wanted to make it special for you" you told him, seeing him raise a hand up to tuck some of your hair behind your left ear, feeling his hand then trace the side of your neck.

"everyday i spend with you is already special y/n, seriously" matthew told you, smiling when he heard you laugh at his corny words.

"it's true" he added, his hand now on your cheek, holding you in place.

reaching up to peck his lips, matthew pulled you back by your chin to keep you there, not wanting you to move away just yet. as the kiss continued, he started to smell the pasta sauce burning slightly, so his free hand took the wooden spoon & swirled it around in the pan so you wouldn't stop kissing him.

the crinkles around his eyes became visible when you pulled away breathlessly & seeing him smiling brightly at you, you returned the same look to him, knowing that he could feel it with his senses.

"now, how about you go sit at the table like a good boy & stop distracting me from the stove" you told him, laughing a little when you saw him pout at you, causing you to poke his chest.

"anything for you" he whispered before stealing another kiss, causing you to lightly push him away before you both got too distracted with one another. you then turned around to face the stove when you heard his footsteps move further away from you.

"such a flirt you are, murdock"

happy early love day ❤️