Chapter 13 - More Serious than Anticipated

Start from the beginning

"Scaaaaaaaarrrrr... you in there buddy?"

His friend looked like he was in a completely different world, and if BDubs didn't know any better, he was probably thinking about Grian again. He eventually got sick of calling to deaf ears however, and smacked the brunette around the back of the head in sheer frustration.

"Scar!" He snapped, starling his friend.

"Oh!" Scar yelped, before turning bright red in the face. "Uh... sorry... how many times did you call me?"

"Only 6 or 7." Xisuma answered from behind the two. "Thinking about that Grian guy again?"

"I- Well... I wasn't exactly... you could... uh... yes."

X had noticed the clear difference in Scar's behavior over the last few weeks, but wasn't as bothered by it as BDubs was. It wasn't anything bad, his friend had simply fallen for a guy... admittedly quite hard.

"He's alright BDubs, leave him be." Xisuma laughed, as their friend quickly left to help Wels find food. "He's just a bit... infatuated."

"Infatuated?" BDubs repeated, frowning skeptically. "I'd say he's lovesick."

"B has a point you know." Ezra admitted, joining in on the conversation as he typically would. "Grian's all he can think about."

"And I haven't even met him yet." X admitted.

BDubs and Ezra shared a brief, panicked look, before immediately trying to turn the subject around.

"But there's no need to meet him!" His twin insisted. "I mean, you should probably wait until Scar's ready to introduce you guys."

"Yeah! The best things take time!" BDubs agreed. "...Right?"

Xisuma raised an eyebrow, looking between the two with confusion.

"Okay...? I guess you're right." He said slowly, before turning around to go and help the others again.

The second X (and anyone else) was out of earshot, BDubs groaned loudly.

"I can't put up with this stupid secret for much longer." He huffed. "Either that lovesick idiot will have to give up and tell Xisuma about Grian, or we'll go in circles forever."

"But he can't." Ezra pointed out. "My brother won't take the news well that he's smitten with some human, let alone accept it!"

"But-" BDubs started to protest, before getting cut off.

"Come on, you see how happy this makes him!" The red-eyed merman begged, watching Scar chase fish around in circles, laughing to himself. "And they're so cute together, we can't just ruin it!"

He had a point, BDubs realized. He'd never seen Scar so happy in years, it was as if this unlikely love had made his friend a completely different person. And he had to admit, Gri and Scar were an adorable couple.

"Fine... I'll keep my mouth shut." He decided. "But I still have no idea how we can convince Xisuma not to kill Grian if he finds out."

"Yeah, you've got a point. I don't think we can, to be honest."

As Ezra started thinking of a solution, BDubs started thinking of something else. Namely, a question. It was a question he'd had for a while, but never got an answer... or the confidence to ask it in the first place.

"Ezra?" He asked, guessing Xisuma's twin of all people might know.

"Yeah?"

"Why does X hate humans so much anyway?"