9: Each With Their Own Schemes

Start from the beginning

His silver eyes glittered with excitement as he thought of her again.

We'll meet soon, my precious pawn. I know you're looking for me, wanting to catch me. You will very soon.

Because I will let you catch me.

"After this day, I won't show up again," Liwei told Lu Baiyu. When the old man opened his mouth to speak, Liwei held up his hand. "But only if you swear to me that you will not touch her."

Lu Baiyu gave him a funny look. "What do you mean by that? Do you think I'm some kind of bad guy who threatens or harms people like you?"

When he met Liwei's cold gaze, he flinched and cleared his throat. "Look, I'm just an old man from a weak clan. Plus harming someone never crossed my mind unless absolutely necessary, so I don't really get what you're trying to say, young man."

Liwei was aware of Lu Baiyu's plan. He knew of all his schemes and the reason for his visit to Shu Yue. While he meant no harm to anyone, that didn't mean he wouldn't resort to violence once he discovered that his new disciple was plotting against him. But Liwei wasn't really worried for Shu Yue. Everything was going according to his calculation.

Lu Baiyu might believe that everything was going his way, and Shu Yue might have thought she was getting closer to capturing Liwei, but they were nothing more than pawns in his game.

"I know about your little secret," Liwei said with a waggle of his eyebrows. "Recruiting talented disciples? I wonder why."

Lu Baiyu went rigid. He stopped walking and looked at him. "You... H-how did you know about that?"

"I have an abundant source of information," Liwei responded as he came to a halt.

"Who told you this?"

Liwei could sense his anger, but it wasn't directed at him. It was an emotion triggered by the thought of betrayal. Liwei fought off the urge to snort. He was angry for being betrayed?

What a hypocrite.

"Don't worry, you haven't been betrayed; my information didn't come from any of your disciples. Besides, I don't intend to spread this little secret of yours. In exchange, don't make things difficult for her."

"Who are you talking about?" Lu Baiyu said in a sharp and ugly tone as they started walking again. "How about you tell me who this person is you're referring to? Maybe it'll be easier for me to avoid her and save her some trouble."

A faint grin made its way onto Liwei's mouth. "Oh, you'll know, you'll know," he said as he abruptly came to a halt and bowed his head forward. "Well, then, I'll take my leave now; I hope this is our last meeting, but if you ever need me, you can find me at Ancient Moon."

With that, Liwei patted the old man on the shoulder and disappeared into the crowd.

***

Shu Yue was seated on her bed. She took the soul-binding scroll from the bamboo tube and unfurled it. There were a number of intricate runes inscribed on it, taking up the entire surface. Rolling up the scroll, she stood up and sat on the dressing table. There was a slip of blank parchment, a brush, and a bottle of ink placed on the table, which she had prepared earlier.

She dipped the brush in the ink and began scribbling on the paper. Just as she was about to end the letter with one last word, there was a knock at her door. She set her brush aside and took the other scroll from the table.

"Come on in, Xiao Ran," she said. She didn't need to know who was outside her door. Xiao Ran's hushed footsteps and soft knocks were as familiar to her as her own breathing.