Chapter 23

Tobias POV

Everyone becomes silent. Tris sits there stunned for a moment, too shocked to speak. She shakes her head suddenly and rolls her eyes.

"Wow, Four." She says. "You've really done it this time."

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"Eric is with me because he loves me. And I love him." Tris says.

He loves her? He must've just said it recently.

"He doesn't love you, Tris. He's trying to pull you in and then rip you to shreds, just like Peter and Al did." I say.

"That's enough, Four!" She shouts.

"What is the matter with you?" Shauna hisses.

"Four, I've done everything I can to make you like me, so I don't know why you keep making this up. I would never hurt Tris. I love her with all my heart." Eric says.

He turns away and pecks her cheek. She grins and blushes as everyone else awes.

"This is fucking bullshit." I curse.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it." Lynn says.

"Get used to what?" I ask.

"Being the only single one. I could care less at this point." Lynn says.

"Is this really what you guys think this is about?" I shout. "That I'm mad if I'm single?"

They all nod and make eye contact with one another.

"Four, man take a rest and let them be happy together. She's never been so happy." Zeke says.

"You're fucking with me, right? All of you. You all think I'm stupid and an idiot but you're all idiots. All of you will see. I'll make sure you know that you're fucking stupid for not believing me." I say.

"Zeke is right, Tobias. You need to let this go. They're in love and happy together. Everyone has accepted Eric except you. He seems to be making an effort to get along, but you aren't." Uriah says.

"Oh my god. You guys are treating me like a child." I say, rubbing my forehead.

"Its because you're acting like a child." Chris says.

"If you act like a child, we will treat you like one." Mar says.

"I'm done. I'm fucking done." I say, grabbing my things. "Don't say I didn't tell you so!"

I walk out of the restaurant and call my mom to come pick me up. She arrives within minutes and I see dad there too.

"We got here quickly because we were up the road eating dinner with Hana." Mom says.

I get into the backseat and cross my arms over my chest.

"Good game, son. You were a leader, like always." Dad says.

I don't respond.

"Tobias." Mom says.

Dad looks back at me and I see mom look at me through the mirror.

"Tobias, answer me." Mom says.

"What?" I ask, snobbishly.

"Don't talk to your mother that way." Dad snaps.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"Nothing." I mumble.

"Bullshit." Dad says.

"Tobias you've got to stop doing this. You need to let yourself show emotions. We're your parents, I don't care if I see you cry and get emotional. You're human." Mom says.