23. Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire

Start from the beginning

"Good night, Sari," Jerr said softly as he made to leave my room. "Don't forget your training tomorrow morning."

I only grumbled in response, and I heard a small laugh coming from the other side of my room before he shut the door and went back to his evening. And then everything blacked out as I fell asleep.

          A cold splash of water made me shoot up straight, abruptly waking me from my sleep

A cold splash of water made me shoot up straight, abruptly waking me from my sleep. I was drenched, cold now too, and my head hurt. I squinted my eyes, trying to ignore the light as it hit me, and I stared at a tall, long-haired figure.

"You missed breakfast, drunkard," Feytan said as he shoved an empty bucket aside. Had he just thrown cold water over me?

"What? What time is it?" I asked numbly.

"Time for your training. I brought some oats you can eat on the way there if you feel like it. But I don't think you'd be able to hold it in."

I knew I wouldn't be. Just the thought of food, of those horrid oats, made my stomach clench. I had to force myself to get out of bed, my brain knocking against my skull. Feytan tossed me a flask of water, and I drank it in one go, easing the dryness in my throat. I quickly changed into dry clothes while Feytan waited for me out in the hall. My wet hair stuck to my back, but I figured it would dry rather quickly in the open air. And I also figured it would become drenched with sweat soon, either way. I stumbled after him as we once more made way to the clearing we'd been at yesterday. The wolves that were present gave me the same reaction as the day before, but Feytan and I spared them no thought.

Feytan immediately put me to work with the warm up, and by the first three jumps I'd taken, I could feel this was headed in the wrong direction. "Can we.. Can I do another exercise? One that doesn't involve jumping?" I asked, as I felt the contents of my stomach slowly rise.

"No," Feytan answered sternly. "Drinking isn't an excuse to slack off. Let this be a lesson for you to learn. You choose to make certain actions, you bear the consequences. Besides, the fresh air and the exercise will help cure that pesky hangover."

I reluctantly continued with the exercises he gave me, hoping it would indeed help with the nagging headache and the looming nausea.

Unfortunately, it didn't. At least not at first. I had to run to the side of the field multiple times, where I'd found an innocent bush to double down over and empty my stomach. I hadn't eaten yet today, so not a lot of food came out. But other nasty, stinging fluids left my body. Feytan never made any remark about it. He only handed me my refilled flask of water every time, and then ordered me to resume my training.

The warm up didn't seem to come to an end. I had a hunch Feytan was dragging it out, to make sure I really learned my lesson. I felt miserable by the end of it, and almost crashed down in despair when Feytan said we'd focus on the arms today.