6

"Oh, pardon me, I didn't realize anyone was going to be here at this time," Kaeya apologized. "Are you...sweeping?" 

"Forgive me, I teach a geology lab before the free period and a student stumbled into one of the sand jars." 

"Sand jars?" 

"Yes, you see, the sand is different depending on..." he paused, apologetically glancing away. "Sorry, you don't care about this do you?" 

"Let me help you clean up," Kaeya offered. 

"It's quite alright. I'm almost done." 

"My name is Kaeya. I'm primarily an online professor here but I come in at night to help out the others," he smiled. 

"Zhongli. Forgive me for asking but..." Zhongli paused, "is something on your mind?" 

"You don't mind me ranting?" Kaeya sat down, leaning his chin on his hand. 

"We're practically strangers at the moment. Sometimes that's the best person to rant to." Zhongli continued sweeping. 

"I'm afraid my boyfriend will confess his feelings for me." 

"Did you become partners before getting a confession?" 

"Ah, no, not really. I call people my partner if I've slept with them more than once," Kaeya shrugged. "We technically aren't in any type of formal relationship." 

"Do you not want to be?" 

"It's not like that. I just...well...I can't return the sentiment." 

"Oh?" Zhongli stopped sweeping and leaned against the broom. "Are you perhaps aromantic?" 

"What?" 

"It's the word for when someone doesn't feel romantic attraction. Have you thought about it? That relationships might make you uncomfortable because you don't know how to reciprocate romantic feelings?" 

"No, I suppose I haven't really thought of it that way." 

"Just something to consider." Zhongli swept up the pile of dirt and threw it away. He sighed, staring at the trash can, knowing he would have to go and get more dirt for the class since the jar was dropped. 

"What am I supposed to do if I am?" 

"If you're-?" Zhongli turned. 

"Aromantic or whatever," Kaeya waved his hand. 

"I suppose you'd have to explain that to your partner if you do want to enter into a relationship. Even if you aren't going to be in a relationship... if the person has developed feelings for you it would still be good to talk about it." 

"Are you sure you're a geologist? Maybe you should take up psychology." 

"I enjoy all fields of study but I'm primarily interested in geology and anthropology. In any case, I hope it works out for you." Zhongli smiled slightly and made his way out. Kaeya turned, watching the door close behind him. 

"Well damn, I could totally enjoy a night with that guy."