Tiger and Goanna's Top 12 Adventures of Western Australia (Part 2)

We're back for the Northern half of our top spots in Western Australia list. If you've dreamt of vast, open outback skies and unique marine life adventures, you're in for a treat. From spectacular shore snorkels on Western Australia's answer to the Great Barrier Reef to the isolated beauty of the tropical waterfalls and mountain ranges, you will fall in love with Northern WA.

Don't forget about the goannas :D Although they might sneak up and scare the daylights out of you, so be prepared.

Or they could change your life for the better ;) You may be disappointed though, as I'm sure I'm hogging the best one.

Are you trying to compete with this chocolate hazelnut cheesecake? Because you're equal parts sweet and cheesy :P Tiger isn't lying about the region. There's something up there for every nature lover, from the gorge spelunkers to the diving enthusiasts, to the 4WD thrill-seekers who want to get away from it all and forge their own trail.

6. Millstream Chichester

If you've longed for a quiet oasis after driving several hundred kilometres in the outback, Millstream-Chichester is your perfect haven. The Yinjibarndi people are the traditional custodians of the land. The outback drive from Karratha is spectacular and once you arrive, the waterholes are a delight, sourced from the natural aquifers. If you're lucky enough to visit not long after a rain, you'll see plenty of birds ranging from the kookaburra to kingfishers and raptors, as well as pythons, euro, hills kangaroos, goannas and the Pilberra dragon.

Not very aptly named. Much smaller than you'd imagine, and it looks like a lizard.

Did I make you jealous paying attention to other reptiles, Goanna? You know you'll always be my favourite.

I'm just saying if you call something a dragon, it should be like those monkey-eating Komodo ones from Indonesia.

Are you planning another trip for us? I have no objections.

My lips are sealed :)

5

5. Mount Augustus

Bet you didn't know that the largest rock in Australia is Mount Augustus, not Uluru.

That's not a fair bet, Goanna, because the claims are false. The various layers of different rock indicate that this couldn't be a monolith or even a monocline, so the tourism slogans are incorrect. Mount Augustus can't claim that title.

Either way, you reach Mount Augustus via a beautiful drive through the outback when road conditions are favourable, and since it's on the typical international visitor's list, it hardly feels touristy at all. There are great hikes to the summit, to beautiful secluded rivers to swim in, or the petroglyphs to visit.

If you're fortunate enough, you may come across dingoes the wild Australian dog, (thanks to Goanna we did!), red kangaroos, euros, goanna or bungarra as they're known to the local Wajarri people, emu, kingfishers, ibis, heron, and kookaburra.