Chapter 6. Game Plan

AN-Hey guys! I'm being super nice and posting chappies as often as possible because I AM SERIOUSLY ADDICTED TO THIS STORY-and to wattpad for that matter.

If you guys are enjoying this, I'D LOVE TO KNOW! So please vote, comment and fan!!

Chapter 6.

I stood, frozen. What can I do?

‘Nothing,’ I whispered hoarsely.

‘Nothing?!’ he groaned in disbelief. ‘Nothing?! Sweetheart, you’ll need to think of something, because nothing won’t help you win the Games!’

I hung my head in shame. I couldn’t help it if I was useless and talentless, could I? 

He noticed my sullenness and sighed. ‘I don’t mean to hurt you,’ he told me in what was clearly as close as Haymitch gets to a sympathetic, kind voice. ‘But the thing is, Finch Sparks, a girl from District 12 of all places is beating you!’

A girl from 12…Katniss. ‘Katniss is very nice,’ I commented, trying to change the subject away from my own hopelessness. 

Haymitch sighed and buried his face in his hands. ‘Ugh, Finch, you are the most idiotic tribute I’ve ever had to mentor!’

Ouch, that hurt.

‘Finch, look. If you honestly intend to win the Games without killing anyone you can’t go being nice to them!’ he exploded. 

‘Why not?’ I asked, bewildered.

‘Because if you’re nice, they’ll think you’re an easy target and they’ll stab you in the back, Finch Sparks! I would know, it happened when-‘ 

He shut up quickly. I decided he’d been about to mention his time in the arena, and realised it was obviously painful for him to talk about it, so I said nothing. He seemed to appreciate that and spoke in a nicer tone. ‘A word of advice, Finch Sparks,’ he told me. ‘When you’re in that arena, stay away from the others. Hide and run. Don’t get mixed up in it all. Stay away, let them do the killing. Eventually they’ll probably kill each other off. If one survives, feed them nightlock berries, those are poisonous. That’s your plan. That is how you’re gonna win without killing.’ 

That little lecture was in my head later as I tried in vain to sleep. I heard Haymitch’s rough, slurring voice repeat it over and over. Hide and run. Hide and run. A girl from District 12 of all places is beating you. I’d never thought of Katniss like that. An enemy.

Another thing Haymitch said-that I’m the most idiotic tribute he’s ever had to mentor. Okay, Haymitch, I thought. When I get in that arena, I’ll prove you wrong. I’ll prove them all wrong. If I’m here at all, I’m here to win. And I won’t kill a single tribute.

With that, I drifted off to sleep.