Chapter 3. The Vow

AN- I am REALLY enjoying writing this story! I hope you guys are enjoying reading it! If you are please comment, fan and vote! 

Chapter 3.

‘Wake UP, Finch! We have a big, big, big day today!’ Effie called. I sat bolt upright, blinked, looked around. Where was I? Suddenly, it all came flooding back. Being reaped into the 74th annual Hunger Games. Seeing the pain in Jon’s face and realising that he’s not so bad after all-for a big brother anyway. Locking eyes with Freddie…

I wondered what he was doing now. Maybe after the reaping, he’d gone home and by evening, forgotten all about me. Maybe he’d cried for hours for his true love, hoping she’d survive…

No, I was being stupid. Freddie isn’t scared of anything-if he truly loved me, he’d have asked me out ages ago. 

I dragged myself out of bed and listened at the far left wall of my room. I knew for a fact the room behind this wall belonged to her, to Katniss Everdeen. Why did she seem so eye-catching to me last night? The girl seemed plain enough. Strange. I had a weird feeling about her, but it’s a good one. This girl, somehow, was going to be vital to the future of Panem. I could feel it.

I heard her put on her shower and laughed at her gasp of surprise as warm, luxurious water shot out from the showerhead. District 12, she’s from. They don’t have much in District 12, from what Jon told me-

No. No, don’t you dare think of Jon, Finch Sparks. Or Mom, or home…

As luxurious as this place is, District 5 is my home the way this place will never be. Home is where the heart is, they say. Well, right now, my heart was at home, not in this Training Center. Besides, in the arena, most tributes lose their hearts and go bad. Without a heart, where would home be?

I vowed, there and then, officially, in front of my bathroom mirror. My voice is loud to disguise the trembling. ‘I, Finch Sparks, will not kill a single tribute. I will not go bad. I will be myself in the arena-and myself is not a killer.’

I did not hear that the second I started to speak, Katniss switched off her shower. I did not know that she was listening to my words at her wall. I did not know that she heard my vow…and that she smiled. We never spoke to each other, but the second Katniss smiled at my vow, the two of us became friends.