Chapter 11

"Here, ate! Maganda ba?"

That scenario from a few days ago hasn't left my thoughts. It stayed with me for a long time. Keith has always been a wonderful friend to me, and he has remained so. Dapat may gawin naman akong pambawi.

"Ate?!"

I was thrown back to reality and forced to look at Amber. Sobrang lutang ko para makalimutan na magkasama nga pala kami.

"Sorry, may iniisip lang. So, what was it again?" I asked, apologizing with a slight smile.

She didn't say anything at first, but as soon as she realized I had come back to reality, she beamed and motioned with her hand to show me the two gowns donned by the dummies beside her.

"What was the perfect gown for me po?" she inquired, her face brightening. Naguilty tuloy ako. Sobrang excited niya pa naman.

We headed to the nearby mall, as planned, so that I could help her choose what she would wear for prom night. 3rd year at 4th year high school kasi ang dadalo.

I had a look at the two gowns. One was loose-fitting and flowy, with glistening embellishments crocheted on it to complement the black hue. The second option was a royal blue voluminous gown with diamond beading on all sides.

"Suot mo muna," sabi ko dahil kahit gaano pa kaganda ang gown, kung hindi naman babagay sa skin tone niya, wala din.

She promptly carried out my instructions. Una niyang sinuot ang puffy gown na hindi ko agad nagustuhan. The royal blue color didn't compliment her skin. Nang 'yong black gown na, umawang ng kaunti ang labi ko dahil sobrang bagay sa kanya.

"Thank you talaga, ate!" She was beaming as we walked out of the boutique. Nakakataba sa puso na nakatulong ako kahit sa ganitong bagay lang.

Our shopping spree did not end there. I accompanied her in selecting cosmetics, footwear, and accessories. I was thrilled with anticipation at the thought of her wearing all we chose for the event.

"Bili ka din ng sa 'yo, ate. Ako naman ang magbabayad," she offered while she was trying on necklaces.

Agad akong umiling. "I am good." She only nodded and didn't push further.

Tuwing may event kasing ganito, si Tita Grace ang nag-aayos sa akin. Mommy's sister is a fashionista much like me. She was born and brought up in the Philippines, where she had a wealthy family. Kaya habang nasa work si Tito na asawa niya, kung ano na lang ang ginagawa niya sa buhay. She holds numerous degrees. There are far too many to name. She constantly spoiled me because they didn't have a child.

Gusto pa sana ni Amber na kumain kami pero kailangan kong umuwi nang nakita ang text ni Tita na nasa bahay na siya. Kalaunan, tumunog ang phone niya.

"Ate, bawi na lang ako next time! Pinapauwi din kasi ako sa bahay!" She seemed apologetic.

I flashed her a nice smile to reassure her. "It's okay. I've got a guest to entertain as well."

Kinuha siya ng family driver nila. I only made a reservation for a grab. When I arrived at the house, Tita was seated on the couch, checking her nails. May tea cup sa harap niya.

"Ely, my dear!" she exclaimed when she saw me. Hindi man lang siya makapaghintay at nilapitan talaga ako para yakapin.

"Wala ka bang ginagawa, Tita? Okay lang naman kung next week ka na pumunta. There's still a long time to go before prom," sabi ko at giniya siya para maupo ulit.

"Kailan pa ba ako may ginawa?" She inhaled deeply and sipped the tea from her cup.

I chuckled. Gusto niya sanang magtrabaho pero dahil sobrang love siya ni Tito, mas gusto nito na sa bahay na lang si Tita. Out of boredom, she would rehearse acting and confront people as if she were something terrifying. Pero in reality, sobrang fun niyang maging Tita! Minsan nga, nagpanic kaming lahat nang bigla siyang nawala tapos nasa Germany lang pala siya kasi na-bored.