Prologue

Everything was incredibly noisy. Parents are cheerfully gushing as their children sprint around. While I was left in the corner weeping and my mother shushing me.

She pulled a clean towel from her handbag and brushed the tears from my eyes that were streaming down my cheeks.

"Tahan na, anak ko. Your father will come shortly. Stop whining because he's already in his way, okay?" she told me sweetly, kissing my forehead.

"You told me that an hour ago!" I cried.

It's my birthday, and I've told them I don't want a celebration. My father works full time, and all I want to do is go to an amusement park with him and my mother. He's very much an hour late, though!

"Stay here. Tatawagan ko ulit ang daddy mo," she murmured quietly, leaving me alone on the swing.

Sumisinghot pa ako nang may batang lalaki na lumapit sa akin. He seemed bewildered as to why I was bawling, looking at me as if I were a riddle he was attempting to solve.

"Bakit ka umiiyak?" inosente niyang tanong.

I arched my brow at him. "Why are you asking? I don't know you!"

"Hala!" His lips parted. "Why are you galit ba? Nagtatanong lang naman ako."

Lumambot ang mukha ko nang napagtantong may punto siya. I calmed down and turned aside, humiliated by my behavior towards him.

I stared at him. Because I am a keen observer, I quickly recognized his features. His brown eyes are quite innocent, and his round face contributes to his overall charm.

"Kanina ka pa umiiyak," he continued. "Kawawa naman ang mommy mo. Look, oh!"

He nodded in a certain direction, and I glimpsed a girl our age swinging her hand enthusiastically at us.

"We are playing kasi. Gusto mong sumali? Para hindi ka na mag cry."

"Ano ba ang pini-play niyo?" tanong ko habang nakasimangot.

He grinned. "Tagu-taguan!"

"What's that?" Kumunot ang noo ko.

He seemed amazed when I asked him that question. Instead of sneering at my ignorance, he flashed me a kind smile and brought me nearer to the girl.

"Ay, wait!" Tumigil kami at hinila niya ako palapit kay mommy na parang natataranta na.

"Mommy!" I called her.

"El—" She came to a halt when she noticed the boy next to me, securely clutching my hand.

"My name is Trip po!" he introduced himself politely. "Grade 1 na po ako! I am also mabait po! Hindi ako bad!"

Natawa si mommy at tumango-tango. "Okay, little boy. What I'm interested in is why you're holding my daughter's hand."

"I want to invite her to play with my friend po pero it's rude po kapag hindi ako nagpaalam sa inyo," he said, tensed. "Pwede po ba kami magplay?"

Mom squatted down to be on the same level as us. She caressed my cheek while squeezing Trip's.

"Laro muna kayo ha?" she gently asked me. "May importante kasi na ginawa ang daddy mo kaya siya late pero dadating din 'yon."

I merely nodded because it is not what I am thinking about right now. I'm wondering what "tagu-taguan" is and how to play it. I only know dolls and virtual dress-up games. I was not as engaged in outdoor play because I am quite sensitive to the sun, which generates rashes if I spend too much time in it.

"Please take good care of my princess. It's her birthday," Mom said to Trip, who was now beaming broadly. "Please make her feel special on this day. I'll treat you and your other friend afterwards."