ix

Tiana hired her, she didn't care what her advisors thought

Tiana hired her, she didn't care what her advisors thought. She felt like Betty could use a helping hand and Tiana hopes she was that hand.

Today was Betty's first day and Tiana could tell she was nervous even if Betty just walked through the door. "Miss Malinowski, I would just like to thank you for this opportunity." Betty's voice shook as she spoke keeping her eyes trained on the ground causing Tiana to raise a brow. "Please, call me Tiana. We're going to be working together closely of course." Tiana stepped forward to face Betty and she lifted her chin with the tip of her finger. Betty pressed her lips together as she nodded and lifted her head higher to look at Tiana in the eyes. "What's first, Ma'am?" Betty asked as she clasped her hands together and let them rest in front of her.

"Well, I need these organized. They're past financial reports that need to be organized by date." Tiana points to a stack of papers that was sitting on her desk, when she looked back at Betty she could see her eyes widened like saucers and Tiana had to bite back the smirk. "Anything else?" Betty asks as she slowly walks towards the desk and runs her fingers across the wood, Tiana raises an eyebrow at her behavior as she rounds the desk towards her chair and takes a seat. "Just do that for now." Tiana watches as Betty nods and reaches towards her desk and grabs her glass of whiskey, she can feel the taste burn her nose but she pays it no mind as she mulls over the paperwork in front of her.

"Can I ask you something?" Betty fills the silence after a few seconds of Betty putting some paperwork away. "Of course," Tiana replies turning the chair to face Betty's back with a smile, she took the time to stare at her butt for a split second. "Why do you drink so much whiskey, you're so young," Betty comments quickly as she turns her attention back towards putting the files in the right spot. "Well, my Dad, Anton. He used to drink all the time while working and I never understood why until I had to take over and I learned that is how he got through the day. I know I drink a lot for a newly 17-year-old but when you take over a business like the business I own you learn to need it." Tiana twirls the cup in her hand watching as the ice hits the sides of the cup with a soft cling.

The two of them lap into a comfortable silence before someone knocks on the office door, both of them look up before Betty places the small stack of paper left down on top of the file folder before walking towards the door and opening it a crack to see who it is. "It's Mrs. Vera Malinowski." Betty says as she turns back towards Tiana who nods her head and gives her the go-ahead. "You must be Lizabeta Kuznetsova, nice to finally meet you," Vera said nodding towards Betty who presses her lisp together into a smile. "Nice to meet you as well Mrs. Malinowski, please call me Betty." Instead of answering vera nods her thanks before she steps closer to the desk and takes a seat before Tiana could even offer it to her.

"Hello Mother, what can I do for you?" Tiana clasped her hand to rest on top of the desk. "I'm aware how busy and stressed out you've been recently, which means you haven't had much time to date so I asked some of the advisors and one of them said that their son Cris was single Cris Lenin," Vera said with a smile as she looked at Tiana who had her eyebrows raised. "Advisor Lenin is a privileged white man who makes comments about my body every other week." Tiana took a long sip of her whiskey as she waited for Vera's reply. "I know darling, but you should know better than anyone that people are not their parents. Aren't you the one that has been telling me they need to find a man to marry to produce an heir? I know that you didn't expect it to happen quickly but I assume due to your father's passing you would be thinking about speeding that process up some." As much as Tiana didn't like what Vera was saying she knew that her mother was right, Anton's death has changed a lot for the Malinowski family including the future of the business that Anton helped create with his own blood sweat, and tears.

"Alright, where is the date going to take place?" Tiana asks Vera as she leans back into the chair letting her hands drop into her lap. "Club Cumulus, Cris Lenin is a huge gambler and a huge fan of their food so I told him that you would meet him there." Tiana nodded slowly at Vera as she processed what Vera told her. "When is the date planned for?" Tiana looks down at her perfectly polished nails before looking back up to Vera. "The day after tomorrow, I wanted to give enough notice in case you declined the offer that I ever so gratefully made for you." Vera sighed happily as she stood up from her chair, Tiana resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Instead, she plastered a fake smile on her. "I appreciate that, now if you don't mind. Betty and I have some work to do." In Betty's favor, she didn't look surprised when Tiana mentioned her name, and if she was shocked she didn't show it on her face.

She placed the final papers into the proper spot and started to walk towards Vera to let out of the office but Vera held out her hand making Betty pause. "I know how to open a door girl, be smart." Vera directed the last part at Tiana before she turned on her heels and walked out of the office with her head held high.