22

Monsters

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

I sat in the main lobby with everyone.
Since we were all so close to the goal, Reeva required for us to have a meeting.
I could feel my leg bounce, all I could think about was Monty. He was stuck in the medical center, he wasn't stable enough to make it here. It took every fiber of my being to stay as focused as possible.

"The moment we've been waiting for has finally arrived. Our actions in the next 24 hours will determine the course of mutant history," Reeva told us, "Our uprising has been every bit as successful as we'd hoped. And now it is perfectly clear to mutants and humans alike that there is only one solution. Two nations, divided. Ours and theirs."

At the moment, I didn't feel anything.
No pride or enjoyment, I've worked hard, sacrificed plenty for the cause... but nothing showed for me.

"We have worked hard. And one last push will take us to our goal. We much destroy the institutions of a nation that hates us."

"Hang on," Lorna spoke up, "We're just gonna destroy a government building? Have you seen the security out there?"

The triplets speak, "Don't worry. We have our ways."

"Tonight," continues Reeva, "you'll be receiving your assignments. Until then, prepare yourselves."

As everyone got up, I immediately bee-lined to the elevator. I headed to the medical level and looked to Monty through the window.

I cracked a smile seeing him eat the yellow jello the nurse had given him. He was better than last night, he got rest.

Apparently, Reeva overworked him.
But using his powers too much for hours on end had taken a toll on him. Not including the gunpowder that was in his system.

Reeva had instructed that Monty would use his abilities to place gunpowder into objects. Some had got into his lungs and throat, as intangibility is a messy power.

"Hey." I entered the room. "How are you doing?"

Monty's eyes twinkled when I walked in. "I-I'm better, thanks. How about you?"

"Good. Reeva was just saying how our goal is very soon," I then admitted, "And are targeting government buildings."

The boy nodded, a little hesitant to give an answer.
I put my hand on top of his. Monty noticed and held onto it.