17

eneMy of My eneMy II

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

Driving toward the compound, I felt so out of place. Reed and Cate were obviously glad that Andy was here, but the silence from Lauren didn't help me in my case.

There are times like these that I missed my dad.

The mother chuckles, "I can't believe you're driving. You two really missed out on me teaching you in our old minivan."

"Yeah," smiles Andy, "We got a bunch of cars. Took a couple of crushed bumpers, but I got the hang of it."

"You know," Reed speaks, "a lot of things have changed since we've all left Atlanta. We've changed."

"Yeah, of course," I nod, "But how so?"

"I've never really understood how it felt for you to have powers, what that was like. But when you two left... my X-Gene started to manifest."

"What?!" Andy and I freaked.

"Y-You have powers?" My eyes stared at the man, as he nodded a 'yes'.

"Lauren, why didn't you tell me this?" Andy looked to the mirror, at his sister.

"You mean in our dreams? Sorry, didn't come up." She was clearly upset with us being here, and I don't blame her.

"Well, that's crazy, Dad, but it's cool. Welcome to the club," Andy says.

"Yeah, I wish it was like that."

"What do you mean?" I ask, "What are your abilities?"

"I was, um... I was destroying things. My abilities have been suppressed for so long that when they came out... they were out of control."

"But we found some meditation. It seems to be working for now," Cate adds.

"For now?"

"Anyway, that point is," Reed continues, "I know what you've been going through, the both of you."

"Look... Andy, Lux, we've all grown. We should be together as a family," Cate insists, "If you would just come back——"

"Mom, please don't ask me that." Andy just stares at the road.

"Lux, what happened?" Reed gently grabs my hand.