18- Bedside Confessions

"Why were you reading Marco then?" Enzo asks, obviously hoping to distract my thoughts with conversation

What he doesn't realise, is this topic is the one thing I'm not allowed to talk about, girl code and all that.

Awkwardly, I glance down at the bed coverlet and refuse to make eye contact with Enzo.

His knuckle tips under my chin and gently forces my gaze up to meet his intense stare.

"Tell me," he murmurs, running his thumb over my lip, "if there's something I need to know about one of my men, you must tell me. You must, Lucia."

"I-I can't." I stammer out, "but it's nothing you need to worry about. It's not serious... like that."

If Enzo were to take my pulse right now, I'm sure it would be through the roof, but he doesn't. Instead his gaze increases in its intensity.

I'm practically squirming under his eyes.

I can feel his eyes reading me, actually staring into my soul. If I didn't trust and know this man, I would feel intimidated by this stare.

"If it's nothing serious, why won't you tell me?" He asks, slowly reaching up to brush a strand of hair from before my eyes.

"Because, because I promised Amanda I wouldn't. It's the only reason I'm not telling you, Enz, I promise you."

"I won't tell anyone," he mumbles, "even Marco, whatever it is, I won't tell him."

There is something about Enzo's tone which tells me that there is something more than him just being nosy here. It's like he has to know what is going on with Marco, his man, as he put it.

Realising that the right thing to do is tell Enzo, I snuggle my head into his chest and breathe in his deep, powerful scent.

"If I tell you, there are conditions."

Enzo smirks down at me as he throws an arm behind his head.

"I expect nothing less from you, sweetheart. Go on then," he grabs me by the hip and pulls me even closer to him, "give me your terms."

"One, you cannot tell Marco, or anyone what I tell you, ever. Two, if I do tell you, I get to ask you a question and you have to answer."

Enzo pretends to think for a moment, considering his options with a mock frown of consideration on his face.

"Very well, Lucia, you've convinced me."