39 - The Fire Lord's Coronation

I step foot into the Fire Nation Royal Palace after thinking I would never even be allowed in here ever again. I notice a head of dark hair down the hallway, walking away from Zuko's room, "Mai!" She stops in her tracks.

"What do you want?"

"I-Uh... I just wanted to say I'm sorry."

"For what?" She grumbles. I scratch my neck awkwardly, "For stealing your boyfriend." I thought I could almost see a bit of a smile on her face, "I suppose... I'm sorry as well." She turns away without another word.

"Wait!" I say, "Mai... I don't hate you."

"Good to know." She scowls, "Is that all?"

"Um... Yeah." Just when I think she's going to leave she stops again, "It's always been you." She keeps her back to me.

"What has?"

"I've always been his second choice." She says bluntly. I shake my head even though she can't see me, "That's not true."

"It is. So just accept it." She looks over her shoulder at me and pauses for a moment, "I don't hate you either." She whips her head back around and walks down the hall. Was that a compliment?

I walk the rest of the way to Zuko's room and I open the door, "Zuko?" I peek my head in.

"Li Mei?" I see him standing by the window. I run at him and rope him in a hug, "Ow! Ow! Ow!" He says and I quickly pull away from him and notice the large badges across his chest.

"Sorry." I smile sheepishly before crossing my arms, "You broke your promise."

"No, I didn't!" Zuko retorts.

"That doesn't look like one piece to me." I poke him in the bandage and he winces, "Would you rather I was dead?"

"I guess I'll have to settle for this." I sigh and hold his hand. I look out the window, "Who would have thought we would ever be here?"

"Not me." He smiles, "And that reminds me. I may not be the Fire Lord yet but... I hereby lift your banishment. Now you can live here... With me." He whispers the last part.

"It would be my honour." I kiss him lightly, "Now," I point to his robes, "Do you need help with that?" He chuckles, "That would be great."

I wrap the fabric around him from behind, "Are you going to stand with me?" He asks.

"No." I tie the string at his back, "I'm not married to you quite yet." I rest my head on his shoulder, "But I will be in the crowd cheering you on louder than anybody else." He turns his head and kisses my cheek.

"Are you saying you will marry me?"

"Maybe one day." He turns to face me and I wrap my arms around his waist, "I love you." I look into his eyes.

"I love you too." He kisses me one last time before there's a knock at his door.

"That's my queue to leave." I say and he hugs me one last time, "I'm not going anywhere, Firefly." I laugh.

"I can't guarantee that."

"I can." I smile softly and open the door and slip out into the hall.

-

I walk out into the courtyard and scan the area to find any familiar faces, "Li!" I hear Katara's voice and before I know it, I'm being embraced by the younger girl.

"I'm glad to see you made it out alive," I say to her.

"You too." She pulls away from me and I see Sokka, Suki, and Toph approaching. I point at Suki's face, "I like the makeup."

Façades [A Zuko x OC Story]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara