8 - A Beautiful View

I lay with my back pressed up against the cool metal of the deck, "Can you track down the Avatar already, Firefly? Being on this ship all the time is driving me crazy," I turn my head in the direction of where the prince is standing.

"If I could've tracked the Avatar I would've by now. Stop bothering me!" Zuko snaps.

"Someone's in a grumpy mood today." Even though I can't see Zuko's face I know that he is fuming.

"Can we stop in a town or something? I need to talk to other humans besides you." I comment, secretly hoping to get on his nerves.

"How about I kick you off the boat right now and you can find your way to the closest town," Zuko suggests. I roll onto my stomach, "Sounds more fun than being on this boat." I answer. A strong grip grabs my collar and drags me along the deck floor, "Hey! I was kidding! Please don't throw me overboard!" I whimper. The grip lets go of me in front of the ramp of the ship.

"We're stopping to restock." I hear the grumpy prince respond.

"And you couldn't have just told me that like a normal person?" I stand up dusting the dirt off my clothes.

"No," Zuko replies bluntly.

I look around the town before spotting a small tea shop. I push open the doors and take a seat at one of the back tables. A young boy who doesn't seem to be much older than me walks up to the table, "What can I get you?" He asks with a smile.

"Jasmine tea, please," I answer, giving him a smile back. I sit and look around at the other people in the shop. There are not many, but they all seem to be around Iroh's age. They all sit calmly and sip their tea.

"One pot of jasmine tea," The boy returns, "Do you mind if I sit?" He asks, pointing to the chair across from me.

"Not at all. I was hoping to have someone to talk to." I smile at him as he takes his seat.

"I'm Haku, nice to meet you." He reaches his arm across the table. I grab his hand in my own, "I'm Li Mei." I take a sip of my tea, "Your tea is very good," I say surprised. No one's tea is as good as Iroh's though.

"Thank you, but I don't make the tea," He smiles sheepishly, "So what's a pretty girl like you - I mean - a girl like you doing in a town like this." His face flushes. I chuckle at his embarrassment, "I'm a traveller, My ship is here restocking."

"You came from the big Fire Nation ship!" He looks at me, shocked.

"Yes. But I promise we're not here to do anything bad. We're not those kinds of people." I blurt out. Not completely lying. Haku chuckles at me, "Okay, I believe you... So... You want to get out of here?" He points to the door.

"Don't you have to work right now?" I cock my brow.

"Does this place look busy to you?" Haku gestures to the few elderly people in the shop. I smile at him, "Okay, let's go." I slurp down the rest of my tea and stand up from my seat. Haku waits for me at the door, grabbing my hand and leading me out the door.

"So where are we going?" I look over at the taller boy. He looks down at me, "As your guide, I will be taking you to all the best spots in town!" He says excitedly, spreading out the hand that is not holding onto my own.

"Sounds like fun." I smile, tightening my grip on his hand as he quickly pulls me into a small bakery, "Grandma Su makes the best pastries," Haku hands me one of the warm buns.

I put the bun into my mouth tasting the wonderful taste of freshly made bread, "Your bread is very good." I say to her with a mouthful of bread. Haku laughs at me, causing my face to heat up. I swallow the remaining bread in my mouth, "So where to now?" I ask.

"We're going to the best spot to watch the sunset in the whole town. I hope you're up for a bit of a walk." I look up at Haku and give him a single nod before laughing, "I'm always up for a challenge!"

We reach the top of the mountain, grabbing Haku's hand I pull myself up to the small ledge at the very top. I dust off my hands and look up to see the beautiful view of the town and the sun reflecting off the ocean, "It's beautiful up here!" I gasp.

"So beautiful," Haku says, looking at me. I look into his deep brown eyes, "But you're not even looking at the view."

"I still meant what I said," Haku looks deeply into my eyes. I can feel my face burning, I'm sure I look like a tomato. This is so cliche. He grabs the side of my face, keeping his gaze locked with mine while he leans in. Instinctually I lean in as well, not even thinking. Our lips meet in a warm embrace before we pull apart.

"I'm so sorry!" Haku starts, "I shouldn't have done that. We just met and you probably think I'm creepy and-" I cut him off by pulling his collar down, connecting our lips again this time for a more heated kiss.

"Don't apologize," I say after pulling away from our kiss.

Haku escorts me back down the mountain after the sun fully sets. He stands at the bottom of our ship's ramp, waving goodbye to me as I walk up it. I can't help but feel giddy inside.

When I walk onto the ship, a guest is waiting for me, "Where were you?" Zuko scolds me as I step onto the deck.

"Aw, did you wait up for me? How sweet." I answer. Zuko's scowl deepens, "We could have left hours ago but we all had to wait for you." Zuko points a finger at my chest, "Where were you?" This time it was not a question but an order.

"I was on a date with a very nice boy." I finally answer after mulling over whether or not it would be a good idea to tell him.

 "Is that him?" Zuko points to Haku's fading figure on the pier.

"You know what? Yes. It is. And I had a nicer time tonight than any other night I've had to spend on this ship!" I yell back at him.

"You wasted my time for a date?!" Zuko snaps at me. I lean closer to his face, my rage boiling, "I did! And I would do it again if I meant I didn't have to see your ugly mug for a few hours!"

Zuko is so angry with me he is nearly steaming, "I should have just left you there!"

"I wish you had!" I yell in a rush of anger, not really meaning it. I push him out of my way, stomping into the lower decks and slamming my door as I enter hoping that the angry prince will hear it from the upper deck.

Maybe I should have just told him I got lost on my way back.