chapter forty one.

It sounded like somebody was opening the door but I didn't want to open my eyes to see.

There was some fumbling going on— the chains to the door I assumed— and then a slow shut. I frowned, huddled in my side position as I was. My hands were palm to palm underneath my head and my knees were hiked up to my waist. I was warm and content and I wanted to stay that way.

But as my mind ran with the remembrance of the day before, catching me up on what sleep had let simmer, I wanted nothing more than to open my eyes and see Harry. And so I did. I peaked an eye open, brows frowning and smile widening as soon as I saw him hobbling over to the table in the far corner. He had two shopping bags swinging from his arms, a tray of two hot drinks in one hand and a disposable camera in the other.

As if he could sense me too, his head swung to the side and his grin grew wide once he saw I was awake. "Morning, sleepy baby." He chuckled too loudly for how early it was. But I didn't care that the clock read eight am. I wouldn't have cared if it were seven, six or five. As long as he was here I wanted to spend any waking moment I could with him.

Harry placed the things he'd bought on top of the table and sexily walked his way over to my laying body. I was sure he didn't know how sexy his walk looked, he still appeared like he was hunting prey. And I would sit willingly.

He came to me, bending down beside the bed and rose a hand to rest his fingers against my cheek poking out from under the covers. "I'm sorry I wasn't here when you woke up, I just wanted to get a few things for us though." He told me softly, running his thumb back and forth. "Actually, you woke me up." I teased, hiding my smile under the covers.

Harry pouted, like he was trying to hold his own back, "Oh. Oh really now? How dare I? Yeah? How dare I wake the princess up." He quickly gripped the covers and leant forward to press a kiss to my forehead. I squealed, "Don't you dare." Knowing what he was about to do.

I was still very naked under the covers, and somehow, my own laughing mixed in with Harry's deep chuckles hid the fact that with one quick tug, the covers were off. "Harry!" I shrieked in laughter, pushing myself up, "I'm naked and you're not! It's not fair." I turned over on the bed and began crawling away. Warm hands found my ankles and I moved backwards on the bed.

This had probably been the happiest I'd ever felt in all of my mornings. Sharing my love of solitude with him. It felt different in all the right ways. I loved a playful Harry just as much as I loved him in any kind of form.

I paused.

Had I just internally blurted that I loved Harry?

Did I love Harry? Was that something I was supposed to know? To feel once it had clicked? It had just come out of me naturally. Did that mean it was definitely real? If I had said it without even thinking it?

Sweet fucking lord I couldn't believe I'd just done that. I wanted to scold myself for even thinking those words but also thank myself for not uttering them out loud. I'd be in trouble then. I couldn't even begin to imagine what Harry would have thought if I'd spoken them aloud. I guess I had to appreciate small miracles. But... did I love Harry?

Shit.

Throughout my internal spiral, I was still laughing. He was making me laugh. That in itself made something flutter in my chest and I wanted to roll my eyes because I think I definitely loved this boy. But how stupid of me? I knew he wouldn't be here forever. I knew that. I'd known that all along even if I didn't want it to be true. Why on earth had I fallen for someone whose plan was always to leave? I had really brought that one upon myself.

Harry pulled my ankles all the way over to him and I turned over in his grip. His eyes looked lighter now that the morning light shone around the room, and his golden skin looked just as refreshing. "Remember when we woke up together after that party?" He asked reminiscently.