chapter thirty five.

I woke with an easier breath. My vision seemed lighter, the air around me more purified.

A sleepless heavy hand slumped over my head and I narrowed my brows as I woke fully. Realising the hand belonged to Evie, I nudged it off my hair in full force and a groan.

Last night ran through my mind quickly as I made my way out of my bedroom, I shivered at the thought of it happening at all, but then I remembered that this was the only way to properly move forward. Did I expect Harry to choose his long time friend over their sister? No. Did I expect Harry to drop everything and pursue a relationship with me? No. Was I ready for another relationship? God no. And so I breathed happily as I pushed open the bathroom door, going straight for my toothbrush.

I swirled the minty concoction around in my mouth before spitting it into the sink, along with my worries about how facing Harry would go. Could I say the same things as I once would? Could I kiss him? Could I crawl up onto his lap and revel in being in my favourite place? I shook my head to each question, probably not.

Fixing my baggy tee, I huffed my way out of the bathroom, no longer having the energy to stare at the reflection of such a confused girl. I descended each step carefully, walking through the eerily silent house. The clock on the wall read 11:17, which was perfect because that meant I was able to get to the shop around lunchtime if I hurried up now.

The television in the living room was playing as I entered, my pace slowing as I recognised the sound of the stovetop coffee brewer coming up to boil. I sucked in a nervous breath because I already knew who would be in the kitchen, I could sense his presence from anywhere. And so I trudged along, my eyes navigating over to a muscular back and a tousled mess of brown hair.

It seemed as though Harry could sense me too, as he turned around, the silver coffee brewer hot and noisy in his hands, his deep green eyes laying straight into mine. My first thought was to sneak my fingertips all the way over his delicate skin, it took me a second to realise that after last night's clarification, I definitely could not do that.

A small smile was set on his lips as he looked me up and down, only to turn around and fill two coffee mugs halfway. "Mornin' Mabel." He huskily spoke in what I assumed was his delicious morning voice. Though the use of my full name didn't stray far from my mind. I swallowed, taking small steps over to the counter that held a carefully placed bowl, it was filled with my favourite cereal and a spoon beside it.

"Uh," I said confused, "Good morning." Harry turned around, carrying two mugs in his large palms. He placed one down onto the counter, pushing it slowly over towards me with his finger, "For you." He said, eyes sharp and soft all in one. I smiled, bringing my hands around the mug to hug the sides, "Thank you, you didn't have to." I crossed one bare foot over the other and leant my hip against the counter.

This time, when my eyes so badly wanted to betray me and admire the intricate lines of art gracing Harry's chest, I forced myself not to, and brought the steaming mug closer to my lips before blowing. Harry held his cup as I did mine, though for some reason beyond me, he leant his elbows onto the cold surface of the counter, his torso welcoming it, leaving his tall body stretched before me.

"Eat your cereal before it goes soggy Mae, I know you like it crunchy." Harry hummed, as if he acquired an all knowing power. I looked at the bowl of cereal, then back to him, "This is for me?" I questioned hesitantly, watching his smirk grow, "It is." I inched my face forward, inspecting the bowl, "Heard you gettin' ready," He said, pointing upwards, "Thought you'd be hungry."

As I studied the bowl of cereal, noticing that there was in fact no milk poured into it yet, I pulled out the stool and slid onto it. "It could've been anyone getting ready. You didn't know it was me." I spoke, watching Harry as he pushed himself away from the bench and go over to the fridge, pulling the carton of milk out. "Guess you're right sweet girl, but I hoped real bad that it would be you." He neared my seated position, his body heat now so close that I could feel it.