11 - Disrespect to Ancient Cultures

Start from the beginning

Teo starts launching smoke out from the back of his glider as he twists and turns through the sky to create a frowning version of the Avatar. The kids around me cheer at Teo and his work of art. The two boys finally land.

Teo rolls over to the four of us, "Hey, you're a real airbender. You must be the Avatar! That's amazing! I've heard stories about you!" He says, astonished. Aang rubs the back of his head in embarrassment, "Thanks,"

Sokka runs over to Teo's chair and admires it, "Wow! This glider chair is incredible!"

"You think this is good, wait until you see the other stuff my dad designed." Teo rolls his way into the temple, the rest of us following behind. We reach a room at the end of the hall filled with pipes and large canisters.

"Wow!" Sokka runs into the room with excitement. I gawk over the room myself.

"Yeah, my dad is the mastermind behind this whole place. Everything's powered by hot air," A woman walks into a caged contraption that lifts her to a higher floor, "It even pumps hot air currents outside to give us a lift while we're gliding,"

"This place is unbelievable," Aang says in a monotone voice.

"Yeah, it's great, isn't it?" Teo says.

"No, just unbelievable," Aang walks away. Katara walks to Teo's side, "Aang used to come here a long time ago. I think he's a little shocked it's so... Different," She comforts.

"So better!" Sokka cheers. I smile at his stupidity. Katara follows after Aang.

"I have to agree with Sokka, this place is quite cool. But, I can understand where Aang is coming from," I look at the boy in the chair, "This place is a part of his life that is now gone, of course, it'll take some time for him to get used to it."

-

We all follow Teo as he takes us to the last place that seems to be untouched by the colonists.

"It's nice to see that at least one part of the temple that isn't ruined," Aang says, staring at a meditating monk statue. An unfamiliar voice calls, "Look out!" A huge wrecking ball breaks down the statue right in front of Aang.

A man with hair sticking out in all directions and partial eyebrows emerges from the dust, "What the doodle? Don't you know enough to stay away from construction sites? We have to make room for the bathhouse!"

Aang looks at the man with rage, "Do you know what you did!? You just destroyed something sacred! For a stupid bathhouse!" He shouts.

"Well, people around here are starting to stink," The strange man waves his hand in front of his face.

"This whole place stinks!" Aang says angrily, using his staff to airbend the wrecking ball off the edge of the temple, "This is a sacred temple! You can't treat it this way!" Aang walks closer to the strange man, "I've seen it when the monks were here! I know what it's supposed to be like!"

The man scratches his beard, "The monks? But, you're twelve." The mechanist points out.

Teo rolls over to the strange man's side, "Dad, he's the Avatar. He used to come here a hundred years ago,"

Aang steps toward Teo's father threateningly, "What are you doing? Who said you could be here?"

"Hmm, doing here ... A long time ago," Teo's father points his finger up in objection, "But not a hundred years, my people became refugees." He runs quickly behind Teo, "After a terrible flood. My infant son," Teo looks down sadly, "Teo, was badly hurt and lost his mother." The mechanist sniffles lightly, "I needed somewhere to rebuild and I stumbled across this place. Couldn't believe it! Everywhere! Pictures of flying people! But empty." He looks around dramatically, "Nobody home. Then," He spreads his arms out and pretends to fly. I try not to laugh at his strange gestures, "I came across these fan-like contraptions!"