F O U R T Y F O U R

Start from the beginning

I watch his fists clenched "How you know?" and I smile even wider "It's called research, you dumbass. If you had something, you'd be in Paris right now. We all know how much you hate America. You'd rather live with your dad than stay here with us." He huffs "My mother lives here, Harvey."

"Your mother? Do you even hold the position to call yourself her son? You walked out on us. She cried and she begged you to stay, you walked out without so much as a glance at her. She cried for days. Tried to call for years. And you only pick up her calls when you needed money. Like you always do. You only need people when you need something, you selfish little fuck."

The curses kept on coming as if he was the magnet, just pulling them out of my mouth.

I shake my head "What do you need from Lana? What is your selfish reason for being with her?" And he answers simply with a calm soothing tone "Because you had her." He hit a nerve and I bite my bottom lip, wanting to punch across his face "I told you before and I'll tell you again. One day you will cry. One day you will realize when you don't count your blessing having all the good people around you." He snorts "Like you?"

"At least I didn't take money from my little sister when she was in Milan for her fashion show three years ago. Do you think I wouldn't find out? Do you think you can tell her to stay quiet and I won't notice? I have to keep tabs on you, brother, so the people who love you wouldn't start hating you."

He blows off "Don't keep tabs on me. Don't be in my life. I never needed you from the start. My mother didn't need you or your father." And here we go again "Why are you still against that? You do remember that your fucking dad threw her out. You included. He never looked back. He never even cared until he was in the streets for some time. That was when he called and not even to ask how his son was but to ask her for money. She's happy with my dad, Nick. Let them be happy. They created this amazing girl. Our little sister. Hate me how much you want but you and I both know we'd give our lives for Chloe."

It was the one thing we agreed on. Chloe. She was our baby sister. A blessing addition to our family. She always has been the magnet that kept us together even though she never knew it and I hope she wouldn't. I don't want her to go on in life with that kind of burden on her shoulders.

A text message pops on my phone and his gaze goes to Alana's picture. He warns "She's not yours anymore. Delete her pictures." I answer the text and shake my head "As if she's gonna be around you for long. When she finds out what you did, do you think she'll stay? Think she'll still love you when she learns how arrogant, jealous, and hot-headed you are? To what extent you'll go just to get back at people?" I shake my head, knowing how wrong I am "She'll stay actually. Thinking that there might be some good in you. You know how she is. Always sees the good. This positive bubble that you never wanna pop but keep it to yourself."

I pause and watch him. He was always smart when it came to anger. Knew when to keep it in because the next time he will blow, it will hurt everyone. Including her. I hope I have her when that does happen.

I sigh, trying to calm my anger down "Why spread the lie about me being the bad guy?" He raises his brow "Who says I spread the lie?"

"You think I'll believe that?"

"Harvey, she broke up with you because she loves me."

"You'll hurt her, Nicklaus. I know you will. That's what you always do. Jealousy will always get the best of you. It always has. And when she learns what kind of a man you are, she'll come to me and when that day comes, I won't let you even look at her."

That's all I said and walked out only to crash into her when she was about to walk in. She looked beautiful in her sun-yellow dress and white sneakers. She always looked adorable in bright colors. Her hair was tied up and round glasses rested on her nose. She smiles her glasses lift because of her cheeks. Her eyes hiding behind that smile. And I can't help with a smile of my own.
I was blocking her view of Nicklaus so she didn't know he was inside.