Chapter 23~ every day, every minute, every second

Finnick goes home after dinner. Actually after I redid Ren's hair.

I lay in bed with some gold silk nightgown just looking up at the ceiling.

I can hear the waves crashing from outside as the moonlight shines through my window.

I fall asleep but not for long from being awoken by yet another nightmare.

Tonight's was another replay of Owen's assault. I jolt awake kicking the covers off of me. My whole body trembling and sweaty. My palm burns from the rocks that burnt it. I keep telling myself it's all in my head. I'm not back in the arena. Nothing works. Tears continuously falling down my cheeks.

I get up and throw on a white cardigan that Rowan had placed in my wardrobe during my recovery.

I tiptoe down the stairs careful when passing my siblings room. I open the front door instantly being hit with a chilling breeze that makes me feel sick. I close the door behind me and walk across the street to Finnick's house.

I hesitate of knocking in case I wake him. I stand at his door holding my fist up as the cold air surrounds my body making me shiver even more. Tears still fall down my face.

I start to place my knuckle against the door when it opens revealing a tired looking Finnick with a great jacket covering his bare chest and some pajama pants.

"Daphne? What are you doing out here? You're so cold.", he says when he places a hand on my cheek before pulling me inside.

I sit down on his sofa as he carries over two cups of tea. He hands me one of them before sitting down next to me and putting an arm over my shoulder pulling me close to him.

"Every night.", I hiccup unable to even bring the teacup to my lips. "Every single night."

Finnick takes it and sits mine and his cup down on the coffee table. Now he's able to hold me with both arms tightly.

"I'm fine.", I say through trying to not break into a sob. "No sweetheart you're not fine. Talk to me okay. Take your time I'm not going anywhere."

"Where's Ren?" "She's at Mags. She missed her grammy she told me." I smile weakly leaning into his hold more.

"It was the Owen one again. Each time it gets worse. I can see his hand prints on my body every time I look in the mirror." Finnick squeezes me tighter.
"He's gone now my love. He can't hurt you anymore." "I know but the memory haunts me." "I understand everything you're saying. But you're safe from him now. He can't lay a hand on you ever again."

"Finnick I don't think I'll be able to stay alone anymore." "Then stay with me. Every day. Every minute. Every second. You can stay with me. I'll keep you safe." I smile. "Thank you for being there for me." "I always will be Daphne Elsher."

End of book one