Chapter Forty-Five

Start from the beginning

Before the woman could speak, our waitress made her way over to us. "Are you guys ready to order or do you need a few more minutes?"

"I'm ready, what about you baby?" Callie questions, her beautiful eyes on me. I decide to ignore her words from earlier as I order mine and Daisy's meals. I reach over to grab my lemonade, bringing the straw to my lips and taking a sip. 

I smile as I feel Callie's feet between my legs. I glance up from my drink, noticing her attention wasn't even on me as she continued rubbing her foot against my inner thigh. Well, it's safe to say I know why she was missing me. Such a sexually energetic woman at 46.

"Halloween is tomorrow," I mutter grabbing Daisy's attention. She smiles widely, "Can we bring Joy and King?" she questions, eager to see the two again. I shrug my shoulders, "I'm not sure sweetie. I'll be sure to ask Frieda later when she drops them off."

She frowns, "Can I come with mama after lunch? I want to see them too."

Callie pouts, "What? You don't want to spend time with mommy? Don't you miss me?" The brunette nods her head, "Mommy can come with us. You can meet them too! Can they come home with us? I want to show King my toys."

I chuckle softly, loving how close she's gotten with them over the past week. "Again, I can ask Frieda but there's no telling what she'll say."

The woman across from me scoffs, "Honestly, you'd just have to pay her enough money and she'd agree to the idea of letting them stay over." I laugh at her words, nodding my head in agreement. Frieda was just that person, money was more important to her than kids, which makes me wonder how in the hell she got them in the first place. And why?

"Why do you think she decided to foster them?" I question, watching Daisy go back to her coloring. "Foster parents get paid monthly to care for them. It's possible that could be her reason. But if she's using them as a way to get paid... it doesn't make sense how she got them in the first place. Most agencies look for older parents with jobs and a good home and don't particularly go for single parents."

I let out a breath, "Maybe she was the only person who'd take them both and not just King."

Callie nods her head, "Probably."

- - - - -

I realized that Daisy was serious about staying here after lunch. She made her way into the back room, speaking with the few kids who were here. "I might just be in your way if I stay here," Cal spoke, placing her lips to my cheek. I stop her before she can go anywhere, "You don't have to leave. I know Daisy wants you here as well."

The brunette glances around awkwardly, "Won't I be a bother to your co-workers?" she questions.

I sigh and roll my eyes, "Elaine, is it alright if my wife stays and helps out? She's got nothing else to do," I mutter to the older woman. She smiles, glancing up from her computer, "Of course. We're all pretty busy with paperwork so it'd be nice to have someone watching over the children, you don't mind do you?"

The brunette beside me shakes her head, "I don't mind at all." I smile as the woman makes her way to the back to watch the kids. I make my way back to my station to continue with the work I was doing before I left. 

At least an hour had passed before the door opens. I don't pick my head up yet until the person stands in front of me, patiently waiting for someone to get to them. "Sorry for the wait, How may I help—" my words fall short as my eyes meet a very familiar pair of green ones.

His eyes widen before he clears his throat. "I wasn't made aware you worked here," he mutters, turning to exit the daycare. I stop the man before he can go, "It's fine, Chad. What can I do to help you?"