Chapter Thirty-Six

Logan

I've been dying to get a job that I overlooked the easiest way to get paid. And it was something I did on an everyday basis so I had experience. So here I stand outside the daycare just a few minutes away from Daisy's school. 

One of their workers was pregnant and was going to get time off so help was needed immediately. I read the name, Blueberry Daycare. Weird name but cute, I guess. Inhaling and exhaling, I make my way towards the entrance, opening the door and entering. Immediately, the sound of screaming children is heard from one of the rooms. 

There was no one at the front desk, so I made my way towards the noise. 

Stepping into the first room on the right, I spot several toddlers attacking one of the employees as another tried ripping the kids away. I can't help but chuckle at the sight. Do I still want to work here? 

Upon hearing me chuckle, several pairs of eyes land on me. The older woman, who had wrinkles on her face and gray hair eyed me in confusion as the young man mouthed for me to help. I enter the room and set my purse down, making my way towards the chaos. The toddlers eye me in confusion, wondering who I was.

"Did you guys know about Santa?" I question. Several heads nod, waiting for me to continue. 

"Well, did you know Santa gives coal to those who are bad?" I question, eyeing several faces. More kids nod their heads, wondering where I was heading. "Well, I hear that attacking the adults is considered really bad and Santa doesn't like that. So if you don't stop and apologize, you'll get nothing for Christmas," I try to reason with several 5-7 year olds.

My words cause everyone to back away, "We're sorry, Elaine and Jimmy," they spit. They head towards the mats placed on the floor, taking a seat. I smile, happy that that was enough to get them to behave. The old woman and young man eye me, relieved. 

Elaine stays behind with the kids to tell them stories as Jimmy leads me back to the front desk. "I've never seen you around here before. Are you coming to sign your child up for our program?" The blonde-haired man questions. He didn't seem any older than a kid fresh out of high school, it didn't help that he sounded 19.

"Oh no, I saw online that you guys were hiring. I spoke with Olivia last week." Jimmy nods his head, typing into his computer, "Logan O'Brien, correct?" I nod my head and smile.

"I'll go get Ms. Elaine so she can interview you. Just wait here a moment and she'll be here," he mutters, making his way back to the room we had just come out of. I stand by the front desk for a few minutes before Elaine makes her way towards me. "I heard that Olivia has already spoken to you over the phone?"

I nod my head before mentally slapping myself. Speak, Logan. This is an interview, not your friend. "Yes, ma'am, I did." Old and tired brown eyes land on me, "Right this way. The interview is roughly 20 minutes, is that okay?"

"Yes, that's fine."

I follow her into a small office hidden in the back of the building, away from the kids. We take our seats at the desk, located just in front of the window. Elaine grabs a pen and document, making sure her pen works before beginning. 

"As this is a facility to care and provide for children, have you ever been registered as a sex offender?" she questions, eyes coming up from her paper to land on me. Quickly, I shake my head, "Never."

Nodding she writes something onto her document in messy handwriting that I couldn't possibly read from the position I was in. "Have you ever cared for anyone ie, babysitting or a nursing home?"