𝐗𝐕𝐈: Nothing like an Extra Room

Start from the beginning

I ignored his lean, athletic body that his tank top did nothing to hide. Or I tried to. His tank top was long-sleeved, covering his hands.

He stood and walked to a bench, grabbing his red water bottle and drinking a greenish liquid from it. "Does it still hurt?"

I forced my eyes off his body. "Well... I forget that it's there most of the time. But when I run or jump or put any extra pressure, it throbs like hell."

"Like hell, hunh?" He gestured for me to sit on the bench and I did, watching the way his arm muscles flexed each time he raised it to take a drink. "Do you exercise?"

"No, not exactly. Not until my training sessions with Crypta."

"Why do you have training sessions?" He squinted and sat beside me on the bench. He placed the bottle between his foot. "Trying to stay in shape or what?"

"What, no. It's for a preparation..." I trailed off. It didn't feel right to tell Tevessa, a stranger who I barely knew, about the battle between Crypta and the Zadios. A battle that the Uktamas didn't even know anything about.

I was grateful he didn't push it. Instead, he said, "Good. 'Cause you have a very excellent body... Care to explain why you're here, though? When you could be doing something earth-like or with Crypta, for your ‘training session’."

And the thing was, Tevessa was right. Me being here was against all logic. I hadn't even planned how I was going to get home at the right time; when I'm sure Rowan wouldn't be sneaky, waiting to catch me in the headlights.

And that was when I figured I couldn't go home today. It was minutes after five – there was a chrome thistle-like wall clock hanging on the wall, just adjacent to the metal door that led to Tevessa's workout room.

"I don't think I'll be able to go home today, Tevessa."

That one harmless sentence—or so I thought it was—brought up an argument on room arrangement for the night.

Because the moment Tevessa saw that I was serious, he dragged me out and to the living room and made the announcement known. Unfortunately, there was nothing like an extra room in an underground house that had been carefully planned.

"We can work this out," Tevessa said. "Let her sleep with me."

"I'd prefer not." I pressed my lips tightly, sounding as serious and firm as my Vice Principal.

"Why?" He inched forward to me. "Afraid you'll fall for this handsomeness?" He waved his hand over his face, drawing attention to it.

"No. I can sleep with Tujan," I suggested.

"It's a one-man bed in my room," she explained.

"Tevessa has a really big bed!" Bihak chirped. "I stay with him when I'm scared."

"Which you aren't anymore," Tevessa encouraged Bihak, giving him a fist bump and shuffling his hair with his hand. "Mama?"

"Emery can stay in your room, Tujan. While you sleep with Essa."

"I can't handle that boy. He snores in his sleep and I'm not okay with that."

"And I am?" My mouth moved, on its accord.

"You know for someone we're trying to do a favour..." Tevessa crossed his arm, sinking into an armchair, "You sure are selective."

That did it. I pressed my lips and burrowed my head down. "I'm sorry," I said genuinely. "I'll stay anywhere you tell me to, Nilsa. I didn't mean to bother you, honestly. I'm just scared that if I go home now, my brother would find out and—"