CHAPTER 94. Forest Discussion

The hike up the side of the large hill or 'mountain' depending on who you talk too, would have been pleasant if not for Oliver.

He was... ugh, I just didn't like him one bit. It wasn't one of those times where if you spent time with them, you could explain away their behavior.

Nope. Oliver was just... just no. I fully understand why no one else but Cross liked him.

I paused and grabbed a branch to help lift me up a particularly steep place, and Cross reached over and helped me up.

"Cross," Oliver called his name and he turned without a word, eyes alight with curiosity. "You have better eyes than me, can you take a look?" Oliver nodded his head at a small cave.

I narrowed my eyes and sat down on a log, watching the two of them converse briefly before Cross glanced at me. "I'll be right back, it's not deep,"

I waved him off and placed my elbow on my knee, holding up my chin. I was exhausted. Like, dead inside exhausted.

I didn't 'sleep' last night, I passed out from saving ass hat. Which I now regret.... well, no, I don't... he's horrible, but I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself for letting him die.

"How long have you known Cross? I've heard about you, but never met you," I stiffened as Oliver sat beside me, eyes looking down at me.

"Basically my whole life," I said shortly, looking at the cave for Cross to come back.

Oliver's stare was intense, and I wished I couldn't feel it. "He ever tell you about me?"

My lips twitched. "No, and I don't think he intended too," I had a feeling Oliver was the type that floated in and out of Cross's life, from Cross's choice and not.

Oliver laughed at little, under his breath. "We got turned together, he and I, a bond we'll share for eternity."

Now I did look at him, just as intensely. "Does Cross know you have feelings for him?"

Oliver blanched. "No, and I don't intend for him to find out from you."

I raised an eyebrow. "Do River and the others know?"

Oliver shook his head. "No, I never wanted anyone to know, something about you wanted me to make it obvious though."

I glared at him. "Why? So I know I have competition?"

Oliver looked up at the sky and sighed. "I've never seen Cross look at someone like that before, I used to be jealous of River, but clearly that's not where all of his attention is actually going."

I paused and frowned, looking away, gazing at the cave. "Cross already has a male lover you know, and something tells me he's more Cross's type -"

"Shut your mouth," the pure anger in Oliver's voice made me meet his eyes as he angled his body towards me on the log, eyes red.

I didn't say anything else. Cross and Fallon just... fit, but Oliver? Oliver seemed like the kind of person to want to dominate everything, but that wouldn't work at all with Cross.

"Does Cross love him?" Oliver asked suddenly and stood, standing in front of me, making me nervous.

I looked at the forest floor and watched a lone ant walk along a small stick. "More than he loves you," I muttered, feeling uncomfortable.

Oliver barked out a laugh. "I see,"

I stood and dusted off my pants, stepping past him coldly. "Leave Cross alone, he doesn't need someone like you in his life," I said and froze as he grabbed my wrist, halting me.