30: Trouble in Paradise

Start from the beginning

"And you killed our father as well right?" I asked him.

"No, I didn't kill your father alone. We did" He pointed towards the chair where I saw my mother's husband seated majestically on.

"Father?." I said.

"Don't you dare call me that!" He said in a hushed tone.

"Why are you guys doing this? Inalilahi wainalilahi rajiun, you killed your dad?!" I yelled.

"He is not my father!" Zubair yelled.

"What?" I was confused at this point.

"Yes you heard right, Alhaji Zakariya is my dad. Not that stupid old man" I punched him immediately after he said that.

"You are a bastard!" I held his neck tightly. I choked him but then I felt a gun on my head. I turned around to see some other man pointing a pistol at me.

"Don't shoot him. Let that his girlfriend come here first!" I heard My stepdad say.

"What girlfriend?" I asked.

"That Lailah Dawud Khalid. It was funny seeing her with you, I thought she would not return to Nigeria again." Mr. Zakariya said.

"So you are the bastard that killed her family huh?" I asked and a sly smile formed on his face.

"Yes and I'll kill her as well. Her and her mother, sister, and Brother. I'll kill them one by one" He said like the Animal he was.

"Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble. You might as well just get killing me over with because Lailah should be across the world by now. She'll not come" I found myself laughing crazily. That only made them angry and Zubair landed a slap on my cheeks.

"She'll come, I trust Lailah." Mr. Zakariya said.

"I said she was..." I got cut short when I saw Lailah running through the door with her hands in the air.

"I'm here, let him go you bastard!" She said the minute she walked in. I stared at her and make her way toward me.

"What are you doing here? I thought you bordered the plane." I said.

"And let you die alone, no way that's happening," she said.

"Zakariya I'm here now. You can shoot me but let Haidar and my family out of this" she said.

"You've gone mad Lailah. Zubair you can take the damn throne If you want it. Just let us go, and we won't ever expose you" I said.

"You think this is about the throne?" I heard my stepfather say.

"This is about getting revenge. After your father's betrayal, I vowed to end his entire family. You and Haidar's" He said. I didn't understand how my father betrayed him.

"My father never betrayed you by exposing your evil act. He only tried to save his country from a devil like you!" Lailah said.

"Watch your tongue child," Zubair warned.

"Don't you dare call me a child? You think If you kill us you'll get away with it?" Lailah asked.

"Yes. I will, just like I got away with killing your father. It was unfortunate that you didn't die." He said to Lailah.

"It wasn't, God doesn't want me dead that is why. So that I can end you!" She yelled.

"Not if I end you first," He said.

"We'll end each other and rot in hell!" She yelled.

"Enough of the talking. Haidar Aliyu, say your last words now." Zubair pointed his gone at me from where he stood.

"Don't fire it, you haven't killed anyone and can still change. Zubair doesn't be like him, he's a devil!" Lailah tried to reason with him while I watched the show before me. She stood before me immediately as a shield. I tried pushing her away but she was firm.

"Shut up Lailah!" Zubair yelled loudly. He positioned the gun and the next thing I heard was the firing of four bullets.

Kpooooo
Kpooooo
Kpoooo
Kpoooo

It was Lailah, she immediately shot Zubair, my stepfather, and the man who had pointed a gun at me earlier. My stepfather was shot in the arm, while Zubair was in the leg, and The man was shot in the shoulder. But then four bullets were fired. I looked at  Lailah who stood before me. Her eyes were fixated on the entrance as she fell to the ground. A whole lot of soldiers rushed in and soon gathered around the scene.

But Lailah had fallen to the ground with blood dripping from her neck. "Lailah!" I yelled. I squatted before her as she struggled for breath.

"You'll be okay I promise," I said. I tried picking her up.

"No, no. It's time for me to die"
She said breathlessly.

"Stop saying that. Someone come and help us. You'll be okay Lailah." I yelled.

"Haidar," she called my name. "Meeting you has been the best thing that has ever happened to me and I want to tell you that I love you and I can't wait to see you in Jannah again In sha Allah !" She said breathlessly. She held my face before taking in one last long breath before her eyes closed.

"I love you too! Lailah!" I yelled. I shook her but her body was stiff. Her pulse wasn't there any longer. Could this be the end? I let out a scream as tears cascaded down my eyes.

"Lailah!!!!" I yelled.