26: Secrets/Truth

Lailah Dk
My heartbeat accelerated as I stood next to Haidar. My legs were so weak. I felt as though I would fall. He sat on the big Chair facing the entire crowd. Jamal, his new bodyguard stood by his left while I stood by the right, Looking as though I was his wife or something because of the dress he made me wear. I made sure I put my Nigerian army badge on the left side of my chest in other to avoid questioning gaze.

They had already crowned him and were all awaiting him to begin his speech as a new king. or rather, Oat. For some reason, I didn't know why it was even necessary. Why couldn't they just crown him and get it over with?

"I Haidar Jega the 7th, pledge to support and take very good care of the north with all my might. I promise to help us and make sure things go smoothly for us in Nigeria. My father was a great man and I do not promise..." he paused. Everyone could tell that he was emotional. I knew he could give up at any moment. I immediately placed my hand on his arm that lay on the armrest. He turned his head calmly to stare at me. I still had a very straight face on and one could swear that I mistakenly touched his hand. Nevertheless, I removed my hand just immediately.

"I do not promise to be like him but to do my best and serve Arewa. God helps me," He said. Everyone began to applaud. But then a very loud voice from the crowd came.

"My king, How do we trust you when you have no wife." The man said loudly and murmurs began to fill the atmosphere. Haidar immediately raised his hand in the air and everyone went silent.

"Kings,". He turned to the place where all the kings were seated. "I know you guys paid that man to talk on your behalf, let me give this to you guys as a stern warning and yes I'm threatening you all. Never meddle In my affairs, unless you want to lose your title. All you need is a king and a king I am." Oh, the arrogant prince was back. I resisted the urge to smile, I felt goosebumps as he spoke. There was a scarce of fear in his voice, there was no doubt he would make a good king.

"Sorry, your majesty" All the elderly-looking kings murmured. I chuckled a bit and he seemed to have heard me, he turned to me and rolled his eyes. What an attitude. I smiled.

"I believe the coronet is over. You may All leave for your homes today if you wish. If there is a meeting I will call you all, or we can simply save the stress and make a conference call. Is that okay by you all?" He asked and they were all quick to say yes. I chuckled again. This was a funny sight to behold. All the kings were scared of the new northern king. It was quite funny for me.

The coronet was over and The king, Haidar was quick to stand. I and Jamal immediately followed behind him. I was walking by his side. I knew he was staring at me through his peripheral vision. I chose to ignore him though.

"Jamal, go tell the driver to get my car ready. We are going out." He said to Jamal who immediately scurried away like a rodent. I watched his retreating figure as he walked away.

"And you are coming with me as well, I'm going to pay a visit to Nailah and her mum," He said. I paused in my track for a second. Rage washed over me at the thought of Nailah. I disliked her greatly.

"Are you guys back together?" Curiosity got the best of me and I asked.

"What is your business? I believe you'll be out of my life soon, so I'd advise you to respect yourself and mind your business" He said very bluntly. I blinked a few times before nodding. Yeah, I was shocked by his tone. "Wait outside. Let me get the dressed into a thobe. This garment is heavy" He said to me before dashing into the house. I simply stood there as his words played in my mind. Damn, this prince was indeed very rude. I smiled, I liked the way he made me feel. His words were so funny at times, even though they do annoy me.

"Miss Lailah. Let's go" I heard him say from behind me. I turned to find him dressed in a black thobe, it suited his complexion a lot. Sometimes I wondered how a brown skin man could manage to be this handsome. I sighed.

"Okay," I said. I didn't fail to snicker while I walked behind him. He was giving me attitude and I found it interesting. I wish I would not have to leave him, but it's for our good. I do not want him to die because of my presence in his life.

We got to the car and he immediately hopped in. Jamal sat in front with the driver so I sat at the back. I didn't fail to see Haidar giving me a death glare. I chuckled.

"Why are you laughing?" He asked.

"It's nothing My King," I said. He hissed instead and retrieved his cellphone from the side pocket of his thobe. Well, the drive to Nailah's house was a very short one. They left around the neighborhood I guess. Well, all rich people in Nigeria loved staying in Maitama, so I presume that was the reason why it wasn't that far.

The driver drove into a very huge mansion that stood in all its glory. The place was so beautiful. Nailah was from a stinking rich family. What a lucky girl. I sighed.

Immediately the car alighted. Haidar immediately got off it. "Aren't you coming in?" He asked.

"No sir, I'm sorry. Can Jamal accompany you?" I asked very professionally. It seemed to irk him, he frowned his cute face before saying. "Jamal, let's go" He slammed the door shut. Leaving only I and his driver, Jabar together.

"The prince is so annoyed today. I can see" Jabar said.

"You mean King. Get used to it" I said and he chuckled.

"Hopefully," He said. Just then, a phone began ringing beside me. I looked down to see Haidar's phone laying there. He seemed to have forgotten it.

"Ahh, he forgot his phone oh," I said and Jabar chuckled. "Jabar please can you go give it to him, I think it's an important call," I said to him.

"I'm sorry. I cannot leave the car" He said apologetically.

"Okay," I said. I opened the car slowly and got down. "I'll be right back, let me give it to him," I said and Jabar nodded.

I immediately scurried into the large mansion. The place was really beautiful and I couldn't help but pause in my track to stare at the beautiful fountains. I smiled and began walking to the door again. I pressed the doorbell immediately I got to it and it was opened by a neatly dressed maid in a black uniform.

"How may I help you?" She asked.

"I want to give a phone to the visitor who is inside." I kept a very straight face as I spoke. Her eyes drifted to the badge on my chest and she immediately paved way for me to pass.

I walked into the big living room and the first thing my eyes caught was the twin stairs standing in the middle of the big house. Another person my eyes fell on was Nailah and I couldn't fail to see the daggers she was sending my way. I simply ignored her and walked further into the room.

"Good Evening" I greeted and all eyes turned to me. But one person caught my eyes and I lost grip of Haidar's phone.

"Mummy?" tears filled my eyes immediately after I saw her.