30: Trouble in Paradise

Haidar Jega
When I had rudely chased Lailah out of my house. I didn't feel happy, I felt like a bad person and couldn't sleep throughout that night. So I had to make plans to make things right. I knew I had feelings for her but I was denying it because I didn't know if they were genuine. I had to perform isthikhara and I felt at peace with my feelings for her. I knew she would be living in the morning so I had to call the president to make sure no flight leaves till the afternoon. And that was done real quick.

Yes, I had confessed my feelings to her. She was staring at me in bewilderment while I spoke though. She didn't say a thing. I turned to Nailah and stared at me calmly and then she smiled. "Lailah I'll miss you, I hope you take good care of yourself. I'll come to visit you from time to time." I said. I immediately engulfed her in a hug. "You don't need to say anything Lailah, I just wanted you to know how I felt that's all," I said. I broke the hug and stared her in the eyes.

"I know you might never love me in return, but I'll just continue to love you until I can understand the fact that you don't feel the same way for me," I said. She was still acting numb. I turned to her mum and said "It was nice meeting you madam," I said her mum and then turned to Nailah. "I'm sorry about all that ever happened." I simply said to her she smiled.

I then turned around and walked away. Lailah did not utter a word to me. I wanted her to at least say something but she just stood like a statue and just stared at me as though trying to download what I had said. I didn't go out with my bodyguard, well I was done with that shit. I left Jamal at home, I'm sure he isn't aware that I'm even out.

When I got to the parking lot, I sat in my car. I was waiting for Lailahs flight to take off, or was I just having hope that she'll come outside? Well, it got to be that.

Thirty minutes passed, I checked my phone and the message from a worker from the airport popped in. The flight has taken off and she went in. He messaged me. I signed deeply and then buried my face in my palm. I had to accept the fact that someone like Lailah cannot love. She's as hard as stone and I knew the only feeling she had towards me was simply pity. She pitied the fact that my father had died and that my life was still being threatened. She simply doesn't just care. I had to find peace with that.

I ignited my car and zoomed out of the airport. I drove at full speed. I didn't give care In the world what would happen? I drove back to the palace and I got there really early. I took calm strides back to my part of the palace. I hadn't moved into the king's part yet. I just decided to remain in my house for now.

When I got there, I saw the door open which was weird. "Jamal" I yelled the name of my annoying bodyguard.

"Jamal!" I yelled again. I walked further into the room and lo and behold. Jamal's body lay In a pool of blood with a bullet to the head.

"Inalilahi wainalilahi rajiun!" I yelled out loud. "Jamal! Oh my God," I was breathless.

"Would you shut up your stupid mouth!" I heard a familiar voice say from behind me. I turned calmly and came face to face with the devil himself. He was pointing a gun at me.

"Zubair?. What is all this?" I said In astonishment.

"It is what you are seeing you, idiot!" He said.

"But we are brothers, how can you do this to..." he cut me short.

"We are not brothers, You are my stepbrother. That's a big difference." He said.

"Why are you doing this?." I asked.

"Why am I doing this? Is that even a question, okay I'll answer you then." He said "All my life growing up, I've had to watch you and mukhtar get all the praises, mukhtar was easy to kill but you! I do not understand why God would not just let you die!" He yelled. I just stared at my brother who I have grown to love all my life say he killed my big brother.