CH. 25

im on a mf roll! 🦦

Soleil wrapped the last piece of hair around the curling wand, as she sat in front of her vanity mirror. She hummed along to the Beyonce song that loudly spilled through her speaker, slowly rocking back and forth as she was antsy to be done wit her hair.

She laid the curling iron down on the table, and grabbed one of her hair clips before pinning the curl up. "Let's go li'l kitty cat, he don't want you anymore, nooo." Lei sang, switching off the curling wand.

"Got diamonds on my neck, got diamonds on my records. Since 16, I was coming down ridin' Lexus'." Keia danced into the room, singing along. Lei laughed as she shook her head, grabbing her makeup bag. "Talk your shit, Bey!"

"Oh, what she say, Lei?" Keia cupped her ear, Lei continuing to laugh.

"You can call Tyrone, you ain't gots to lie Craig!" They both shouted along to the lyrics, pointing at each other.

The two girl were getting ready for a night of festivities, the semester had officially end and they were more than ready to enjoy their few weeks off until the new semester started. Unfortunately, their weekend trip they had planned to Miami was canceled since Joziah had to return back home earlier than expected due to a family emergency.

The girls didn't want to go to Miami without home and just decided that they would wait until spring break to plan another trip somewhere else instead altogether. Keia and Lei was content with spending the weekend home, until it was time for both girls to leave to their destinations.

While their plans had been canceled, Soleil mentioned to her sister that she would probably spend her break with their parents. That was until, Selah proposed that she fly out to New York to spend Christmas with her and her husband's family.

They would later return back to Florida during New Year's week to spend with their family, especially since it was tradition for their parents to throw a get together New Year's Eve night.

Soleil thought it was the perfect plan, she wouldn't have to find things to do to occupy herself while her parents worked — even though, Soleil had also planned to work at the daycare again.

She was excited that she would start working at the daycare officially in January. She had filled out the paperwork with her mom, so that she would be an official employee there and not just getting paid under the table.

Though Soleil had money now, and technically didn't have to work for awhile, she still wanted to pursue her dreams of working with children. Whether that was in the daycare business or becoming an elementary school teacher.

"Can you do a cut crease on me?" Soleil asked Keia, digging through her makeup bag to grab the stuff she needed. Keia nodded as she stood behind Soleil, running her hands through her straightened hair.

"Have you been practicing?" Keia looked at her through the mirror, Soleil shook her head, answering truthfully. "Practice makes perfect babe, that's how I learned."

"I know, I just don't care for eye makeup, man. That's your thing, you can do the hell out of some eye makeup. But me? It looked like someone child played on my eyelids." Soleil joked, as they both started laughing.

"Too bad that skill gonna go to waste, once I break into Tech." Keia sighed, grabbing the makeup brush from Soleil as she passed it to her. While Keia was talented and took pleasure in doing makeup, her parents wouldn't be so fond of her pursuing a career in cosmetics.

Back home in Arizona, her parents had their own successful business in cybersecurity. When Keia graduated from high school, and informed her parents that she wanted to attend an HBCU, they had their eyebrows raised.