CH. 15

*puts on vaseline, laces up tennis shoes*
just in case y'all tryna fight by the end of the chapter. 🙂

Raj stood in front of the tombstone, his eyes reading over the engraved words. He let go of a deep sigh, looking down at his feet, he felt a placed hand on his back causing to glance over at his mom. Though she had on shades, he could see the visible tear streaks on her cheeks.

Arielle stood on the other side next to him, her arm linked around his as she rested her head on his shoulder. Emerie was knelt down, making sure that the flowers they had bought were neatly placed and appealing.

Today was the anniversary of Raj's father's death. Every year since his passing, his family got together to celebrate, remembering him as the family-oriented, loving man that he was.

Unfortunately this year, today would be different. Raj's family all had their own plans for today, meaning he would have to spend the day alone. As disappointed as he was, he understood that his family all had their own lives and businesses to take care of.

Though they weren't doing anything special, they made sure to come together and put fresh flowers down at the cemetery — something that was for sure a tradition.

"I miss him so much," Emerie sniffled, as she stood up straight and went to stand on the other side of her mother.

"Me too," Arielle dabbed away a few tears, with the back of her hand. Raj continued to stare down at his feet, clenching his jaw. He took a step back as well as his family, turning to walk back towards the car.

No one else spoke as they got settled into the car. This day had always been hard for Raj, though he accepted that his father was gone and never coming back, it still hurt to know he'd never have another conversation with him.

Death hadn't been an easy task to cope with for Raj, he didn't talk to anyone about his feelings, rather instead occupy his mind to avoid acknowledging any feelings or thoughts.

Shortly after his father died, Raj nearly worked himself to death so he wouldn't have to think of his father's permanent absence. During that time, Xahir had to sit Raj down and make him talk about how he was feeling. He couldn't stand to see his best friend hurting so much, to the point that he was willing to overwork himself.

Each year around the anniversary, Xahir made sure to keep a close on his best friend, as sometimes he would slip into a depression. Raj could admit that without Xahir, he would've went off the deep end years ago.

However, now that Xahir was gone as well, the anniversary was taking much more of a toll on him. As selfish as it sound, Raj wanted to be around Soleil for the day for the sole purpose of comfort she brought him.

But then again, family was a big thing for him and he understood her wanting to see her folks. He secretly hoped that they would be able to get together later on tonight, and would have a day and a half to spend.

Raj got into the driver's seat, starting up the engine as his family got settled in. The three women carried a conversation amongst themselves, but Raj was finding it too difficult to join in, still very much engrossed in his own intrusive thoughts.

"We have a family dinner tomorrow, if any of you guys aren't busy. You know, to kind of make up for today." Tasha said, glancing over at Raj and then back at her daughters, who were nodding in agreement.

"That's fine wit' me, it just wouldn't feel right to not do anything at all." Arielle said, checking her phone. "Besides, we haven't done anything together in awhile with the exception of my grand opening."