9. War, The Last Crack

Start from the beginning

The pain was agonizing. He could feel himself collapsing, but he used every bit of strength and will power to keep himself stable and alive. It reminded him of the time that he held the weight of the sky to save Artemis, and there was a sudden burst of bitterness within him. That ungrateful, man hating, god, did not deserve to be saved by him. The rage burned deeper with every second. He was dripping with sweat.

Perseus could feel something cracking, but it wasn't the feeling of a breaking bone. It was a sensation that he had only experienced twice before.

It was the feeling of the crystal ball slowly shattering.

The anchor that kept him half mortal was breaking.

All he had to do, was push a little farther, and there was only one way that he could do that in his current situation.

Only one thing he needed to do.

He needed to give in.

He let himself release the burdened weight and allowed himself to be squashed under the boot of Hyperion,

His vision tunneled inwardly.

««•••»»

The voice that spoke to him reminded him of Hades.

It was gravelly and dry, like the speaker hadn't had a drink of water in decades.  It wasn't evil, however it radiated dark power. Like the kind he'd felt on Olympus before he jumped.

You have lived as a demigod, Perseus.

But you will die as a god.

He saw himself slaying creatures ruthlessly, ramming a sharp bone into the side of a hellhound. He saw himself hammering away, forging the swords that he used to this day. He saw the look on his face the first time he noticed the tattoo adorning his chiseled torso.

After 21 years of endless suffering.

He saw himself in a deep meditation, training the powers that he had received from the three gods.

You will become all that you are meant to be.

He saw himself burning the camp of a small monster army, after killing any and everything that moved inside.

He saw him ripping through a skeletal army as they pleaded for mercy. He saw the moment his eyes turned from sea green to demonic red. It was after he'd burned the blood out of the curse spirits. He saw himself killing an empousa, after promising to spare its life in return for information. He saw himself burning a dagger through Dionysus's flesh and he saw himself as the Titan of Destruction fell at his hands.

But out of everything, he saw something that he had never before witnessed.

He saw Zeus, stabbing a 17 year old demigod, as the body Dionysus laid lifeless in the grass.

The image changed and he saw the king of Olympus sneaking into his cabin. He saw himself laying with Annabeth, sleeping. Zeus took the pen off of the nightstand and uncapped it. He walked out of the room and back to the body of the dead Wine God. He removed the silver blade out of Dionysus's heart, and placed Riptide into the wound. He waved his hand once and disposed of the demigod he killed and the old sword.