010.

010. dates and jackets

"NOW I want all your attention for what i am about to say next!" called professor sprout as she stood in front of the fireplace in the hufflepuff common room, which was now cramped as it was filled with hufflepuff students from fourth to seventh years. honey was currency being squashed between the seventh year lynn ong (the one friends with cedric) and vi, who looked like she wanted to be anywhere but where she was.

"as you know," professor sprout called, "the triwizard tournament comes with many traditions- such as the champions-" there were a few murmurs, "which i hope you are all treating with fairness. however the circumstances, both harry potter and cedric diggory are our true champions."

"now as tradition follows," sprout continued, "the yule ball is fast approaching! it'll be open to fourth years and above- though you are allowed to invite a younger student if you wish. formal clothing will be worn- be it muggle or dress robes, it is expected that you behave properly at the ball."

"when's the ball, professor?" called a sixth-year hufflepuff.

"the yule ball will start at eight in the evening on christmas day, finishing at midnight in the great hall." professor sprout hummed, "i believe that is all. if anybody has any questions- please speak to me at another time for i-" gestured to the stack of paper she was holding, "have things to mark, unfortunately. teacher things. shameful." she sighed, "oh well- lovely seeing you all!"

"i can't tell if she's mad," freya muttered, "or endearing."

"she's a bit of both, like a pick and mix." honey shrugged.

"pick and mix?"

"muggle thing," chorused freya and honey.

"so," hannah said brightly as they made their way back to their room, "who are you lot going to ask to the ball?"

"no fucking clue," muttered freya. she huffed, "i'll think about it later." then, she side-eyed hannah, "why'd you ask?"

"no reason!" hannah hurried.

"do you like somebody?" vi asked, suddenly interested as she and the remaining few flocked to hannah's bed which was where the girl in question was sitting. "do you?"

"circe's tits- she does!" declared honey as she pointed at hannah's red cheeks, "she does! look at her face- it's red!"

"who are they?" asked freya, "will you go to the ball with them? are you going to ask them?"

"do we know them?" added honey, "do we-"

"VI ONLY SITS NEXT TO GILES MONROE IN DEFENCE BECAUSE SHE LIKES HIS HAIR!"

"you did not!" screeched vi, looking utterly betrayed, "hannah i told you that with confidence!"

"she might also have a crush on him!!"

"where the hell is the hufflepuff loyalty, hanah?!"

"monroe? seriously?" honey said, jaw slack. she looked at them all, "is there any other hidden crushes you have all been hiding from me?"

"what about you?" vi spluttered as she began to gesture wildly to honey in absolute embarrassment and alarm, "with harry potter!"

the escalating and exciting atmosphere dropped down to rock bottom the minute vi had said the words harry potter because all honey could do was laugh and laugh- which, in hindsight, made her look quite mad.